Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Submersible or out of water pump?

kitasei
9 years ago

I am restoring an old concrete pond with a stone waterfall. One contractor's plan calls for submersing the pump in the water, the other putting it in a box up near the top of the falls. What are the merits of each approach? I'm interested in aesthetics, energy saving, and quiet...

Comments (5)

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

My pond is about 1800 gallons. I designed and dug it myself. I use a submersible pump. I wish it was out of the pond, and here is why: I have to enclose the pump in a filter "sock", to keep debris out. That filter periodically needs to be washed off, which means raising the pump and attached, bulky hose, opening the bag and hosing off the filter material. Then reassemble and replace. I have to perch on the side of my pond to reach the pump and in the middle of summer with everything growing and rocks slippery, well, it isn't ideal. Maybe it's bad design on my part, but I find it cumbersome to maintain. I did it this way to keep expenses down, and it certainly is quiet, and hidden. And it works quite well. I just don't like the upkeep. If I had the option of a contractor installing it, I would request the easiest upkeep method and pick the pump for energy efficiency. There is a big difference between pumps as to how much energy they draw. Do your homework there. Hope that helps-

• kitasei
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does help, thanks. I was shocked to read somewhere that ponds typically cost $30/month in electricity to run. Mine is only 500 gallons, but the falls are 5-6 ft, so it will require some lifting to move that water.

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

At $30 a month, I consider it a cheap hobby. I can think of many other interests that cost a whole lot more, and provide a lot less satisfaction. The sound of that water fall is priceless in my humble opinion. Then there is the beauty of the water plants, the antics of the fish and frogs, not to mention the amazing array of birds that utilize it for bathing and drinking. Really cheap hobby! Good luck with your project. Post some pictures when you get it done.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I don't understand how having the pump at the top of the falls would work.

But I'll say this...having a pump at, or near, the bottom of a pond is not something I would suggest. After I moved from a home the new owners hired a "professional" who "fixed" my pond by moving the pump from the skimmer to the bottom. Little while later a hose came off the filter they added (which wasn't needed) and the pump drained the pond in a few hours and killed all the fish. Just saw a post yesterday in a forum where the same thing happened to another person and he lost thousands of dollars worth of fish.

Plus a pump at the bottom collects debris as mentioned. I put the pump behind the skimmer basket (I make my own skimmer) The skimmer basket acts as the prefilter, it's easy to get to and won't empty the pond if there's a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Skimmer

• joe_09
    9 years ago

if you want gin clear water use an external pump and gravity feed it after the filter.a pump before the filter takes the fish poop and mashes it up like a blender.a good external pump is the performance pro.i use the 1/4 hp 4900 gal/hr. uses 300 watts.will push water 9 1/2 ft high without loosing any pressure.