Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

help !!!!!!!!

atokadawn
12 years ago

With all this rain in Tn. , my BIG pond has all of a sudden what I call bolted it's liner. As you can see in the pictures. Now how do I fix this? Help please......

I have 7 goldies out there somewhere.

{{gwi:193337}}

{{gwi:193338}}

Comments (7)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Been there, done that. You have hippos. That is, trapped air under the liner. You could try lifting the edge of the liner to allow the weight of the water to force out the air or run a tube down under the liner while you run water into the pond. Sometimes there is some ground water under there. If that is the case put the inlet pipe from a pump under the liner and pump it out. Or you can just wait until the ground water recedes.

I can't help you with the fishies.

• mike_il
    12 years ago

I am sorry Sandy but I have to disagree. It is almost impossible to have air under a liner. The only that can happen is to have an air tight seal or the air is going to get out. What this person has is water under the liner. To be more correct it is probably ground water. This situation can only happen two ways. The first is the waterfall leaking faster then the ground can get rid of the water. The second and more likely situation is the ground water got higher then the water level in the pond and the water was pushed out of the pond. The quick fix is to add water to pond to the point where water is going to flow out. Keep doing this until the liner is back down. The only way to fix the problem for good is to raise the pond water level so that it is higher then the ground around the pond or put a drain under the pond to drain the ground water out to a lower area.
    Mike

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got to go look close between rains. It IS water under the liner. The whole yard is flooded. So I need to try and add more water to the pond? Hope it pushes the liner back down? What will happen to the ground water under the liner? Do I need to open a corner of the liner from the edge so water can come out?

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Atokadawn,

You don't have to do anything other then keep the water in the pond higher than the water in the ground. As the water under the liner gets pushed out the water level in the pond will drop. More water will have to be added until the water in the pond stops going down.
    Mike

• ernie_m
    12 years ago

Would some large rocks would help weigh the liner down? I don't know it it would work, just tossing it out because if the ground water came in once it could come back again.

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I spent yesterday draining the pond water out from under the liner. It took 3 hours to get it all out. Now I am going to go raise the sides of the liner way above the ground level. Hoping to stop this from happening again.
    Again, Thanks for the help!

• pcjjjr
    12 years ago

I would think you are going to have to put something heavier than water in the bottom to help hold it down. Water inside the pond will be pushed out from the force of the water coming out of the ground - resulting in the same thing happening again. Even if you raise the sides, it will still push up from below.

However, this is not normal weather for you, or for most of us, for that matter. It probably won't happen again - unless it rains for weeks like it has and raises the water table and there's no place for the water to go, but up.