Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is safe to use to weigh something down in the water?

Posted by dbfirewife (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 12:22

What do you all use in your ponds when you need to weigh something down? Is it safe to use a brick? At Home Depot they have some small, maybe half bricks.. would these be ok? I sure don't want to use something that would harm the fish.. Thanks
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is safe to use to weigh something down in the water?

I use flat rocks. A small brick should be ok if the edges are not too sharp---don't want the fish to scrape against sharp edges.

o

I use a big rock that has been smoothed from years of rain. I have one in the bucket with my papyrus. It keeps the bucket down & the papyrus in the position I want it.

o

I use big rocks usually, but concrete landscape bricks seem to be just fine also.

o

I don't know off hand anything that would be harmful to fish. Brick, rock concrete are all OK.

o

Just found out my husband used some old lead fishing sinkers to hold plants down. Is this ok?

o

Lead wouldn't be a good idea, but I wouldn't panic about it. Doesn't really leach into water in any great amount at the pH levels most people keep their pond.

It would be very bad if the sinkers are small enough that fish could swallow them. That can cause lead poisoning.

o

I use rocks too. I have used concrete pavers before but they leach out somehow and get very rough so I try not to use them anymore. It hasn't seemed to bother the fish any but I hate to put what ever is in the concrete in their home..

o

o

Thanks waterbug guy. I will try to get them out just to be sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here