Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do i drain my pond

Posted by mattkalman none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:34

last spring i bought a house in upstate new york that has a concrete-bottomed, stream-fed, all-natural pond that is around 100 feet across. there is no pump, no fountain, just a valve that can drain the pond into the stream at the other end. it is gorgeous. there were tons of tadpoles and frogs in it last summer and it was a great swimming hole for us humans. the previous owners used to drain the pond every two years in the fall. the they would shovel out all of the silt and leaves and branches that fell into it and then close up the valve and let the stream re-fill it.
my question is whether or not i should drain and clean the pond in the spring instead. my thinking was that it will be nice and clean for this summer's swimming, but as soon as the weather warmed and before i could drain it, i started noticing the tadpoles and egg sacks right away. i don't want to kill all of the wildlife in the pond, so i was wondering if those little guys would survive if they went down the drain into the stream below my pond.
should i do the cleaning now or in the fall when everything is either dead or hibernating or moved on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do i drain my pond

Many of the eggs will stick into the muck in the bottom of the pond. Soooo it depends on how you feel about the frogs and toads and dragonfly larva and anything else in there dying. In the late fall there may be over wintering toads and frogs in the muck. It takes over a year for bull frog tadpoles to mature so no matter when you clean it out there will be some loss of nature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here