Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hostas in pond

Posted by brownthumbia 5aIA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 12:34

Can someone give me some advice on the proper way to use hostas in the pond. How deep, medium for pots, etc. thanks in advance, I have so many hostas that need dividing and thought I'd use some in the pond if I can get some advice. BT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hostas in pond

I think they like their crowns above the surface. I grew them in bogs and on the shelves of my pond and they did very well. I just planted them in pea gravel and they worked well as filtration. Kept a lot of my algae down too.
Good luck :)

o

I have a couple in a stream only partially submerged similar to the way I have some elephant ears in a shallow section of my pond.

o

Hi BT. I've been using garden plants in my ponds for years. There are little containers out now that float on top of the pond like little gardens and a Hosta would work perfectly there. No dirt, just the roots in the water and see how your Hosta will eventually cover the whole container.
In my waterfalls, I have used parrot feather and impatients and they both look great.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

o

Lorraine can you tell me where you found those baskets? Thanks everyone for your help.

o

• Posted by jalal z3/Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 11:12

I have contained hostas in a hula hoop ring tied to the edge of the pond because of the skimmer. They do fine. The only thing is to remember to bring them out early enough to plant in the garden in the fall as here they are too expensive a plant to not retain.

o

Here in Southwestern Ontario Canada we got to Moore Water Gardens in Port Stanley or the Bloomin Bog in Ilderton for this product. The plant baskets are inside a flat piece of styrofoam that float on the water. Actually, I would get some styrofoam, make a hole large enough in it to put the roots of your Hostas and see how that works. Might save you some money.

Lorraine

o

• Posted by maet z5 NL, Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:50

I bought two at Vandermeer Nursery and then made two more by cutting a ring out of styrofoam and covering it with black electrical tape. Worked great and lasted longer than the bought ones, actually still using them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here