Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

automatic refill valve?

cweathersby
14 years ago

I spent the weekend laying a drainage ditch from my pond, installing electricity TO my pond, and laying a water line so I have a faucet near my pond.

The pond itself is about 18' by 18' by 4'. During the heat of our Texas summers the water level can drop about an inch per day. I don't like spending all of my time adding water to it.

Is there any site that gives instructions on how to install an automatic refill valve? I've looked, but can't find anything that really looks like it would work.

Thanks,

Carrie

Comments (11)

• charle7
    14 years ago

Like you our FLorida summers are hot and the water levels drop quickly. We installed Hudson Fill Valves on both of our ponds. They work great and are easy to install. We just ran PVC from the faucet to the pond - connect the fill valve to the PVC at pond edge - place the valve where you want your water level to be and that's it. You will need to just purchase a few PVC fittings and pipe and it should be easy for you to do. We bought our valves online. Just google in Hudson Fill Valves and lots of places sell them. Good luck

• pondbucket
    14 years ago

I've always wondered what people with auto refill valves (& that live in areas with treated water) do about adding de-chlorinators? How does that work?

Is there something automatic for that (mixing)?

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine is well water, so it isn't an issue.

Do you know if pool supply stores might sell the Hudson Fill Valve? I would like to get this installed asap, while the trenches are open.

Thanks.

• charle7
    14 years ago

We have well water also so I have never checked on anything other than what I needed. I checked at pinch a penny and they didn't have any of the auto fill valves but it should only take a few days ordering online. You would definitely want to do this before you fill in your trench.

• krnuttle
    14 years ago

When you install an automatic refill valve do you need a back flow valve?

Are there regulations for this sort of thing?

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Knuttle, can't answer your question confidently, except to say that I'm sure there are regulations on it if there was any way possible for the water to back siphon into the public water supply. Lucky for me, my well isn't on public water supply, or even used for my residence! Just to water plants and fill the pond.

I ordered a Hudson Fill Valve. I'm sure that once it comes in I can figure out how to install it - but live out of town and would like to have the supplies on hand before the weekend. What kind of connections would I need to install into a 3/4" water line? How to position it in the pond to make sure water is at the level I want it? Is there any site with step by step instructions, with pictures, on how to install? I googled but couldn't find anything that wasn't way generic.

• Aquility1
    12 years ago

You may want to check into an electronic fill system that use no moving parts. Float valves are notorious for failing and if you have fish or expensive pumps they may e susceptable to damage. Floats are known for failing because they clog or stick in the off or on positions. Electronic systems are more dependable, more accurate, easier to adjust water level on, and are easier to hide. They also can be plumbed to a separate area of the pond than where the sensor is at, which can be really handy when installing the units. Google electonic pond fill and check out the various types available.

• waterbug_guy
    12 years ago

I use this type of horse trough filler and then supply that from a regular automatic sprinkler valve. Should the float valve get stuck, and they do, it will still be limited to the amount of water by the sprinkler valve.

I know in forums the common wisdom is to always treat city water. But it is possible to add chlorinated water to a pond without treatment if you have a good understanding of how. Andy Moo provides a good explanation at 7:28 into his video.

So for an auto fill you want place it someplace the fish can't get directly at it.

• Hal Warrick
    12 years ago

Get a automatic timer that's used for watering your lawn.
    I've used mine for 8 years, I just set the timer for 15 mins. every two days. Set a 1/2" line from the timer to the pond ( bury if possible )so it hangs above the water roughly 1-2 inches. Hide it of course so you can tell if it's on or not. My timer runs landscape plants and the pond.

• waterbug_guy
    12 years ago

hwarrick, yes, that's the type of automatic sprinkler valve I was referring to.

• Hal Warrick
    12 years ago

Yes it works great and it's a no brainer.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022