Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaroe

Cleaning a pond which has not ever been cleaned

donnaroe
12 years ago

We have a 5,000 gallon pond which is in need of lots of care. We have had it for over 20 years, and in the past few years, have not maintained it well at all. Most of the water lilies have died and we need to replace lots of those to have shade for the fish, and also cover the surface to help with algea formation. We pump water to 2 large rubbermaid containers fitted with special brushes imported from Japan to trap debris. We also run a large Rainbow double barrell UV sterilizer.

Our son is using a pond vac to clean the bottom and will be done with that in a few days. He noticed that some of our goldfish have body fungus on them. We have pulled 5-6 deal goldfish out of the pond in the past month, so I know the water quality is poor. The pond has maybe 100 goldfish and 3 large 2.5'-3' koi. Some smaller koi as well. I know we need to remove some goldfish and find a safe area to release them in, since the over population of the pond is causing alot of the problems. We have a golf course nearby where my husband knows the owner and he says it would be fine with him to release the fish in a pond there. But the chemical runoff worries me. There are wild fish in there, but will the goldfish be fine?

Years ago, when I was taking better care of the pond, I would add salt to the water. How much salt should I add to 5,000 gallons? It has not had salt added in maybe 15 years. I am ashamed that we have not taken care of the pond, and am committed to taking on the responsibility once again. The last time I put it in, I poured a box of kosher salt in it-it was a 3# box. If someone could tell me which salt to buy, and where (I need to find an inexpensive salt, since I will be buying so much). I also need to know how much to add, since I do not want to over salt. I have read some threads here, warning against oversalting. When I googled the subject this morning, it was suggested that 2.5 cups be added to every 100 gallons. That sounds way too high, and just doesn't sound like good advice-this is the problem with the internet. We have half of the pond drained, in order for our son to clean the bottom, and will be adding new well water which we have used for years, when we refill it. So it won't be city water. Even though we have had this pond for years, I realize that I need to change the way we are doing things, and take better care of it. I know that I need some direction with a few of the questions which I have asked, and appreciate anyone's help.

Comments (4)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Wow.. That's quite an undertaking but I'm sure you will be pleased when it is done. It is so easy for pond maintenence to get away from you!! (well from me) hahaha

I have heard lots of pros and cons on using salt. My local pond store swears by it and I used it for the first few years I had the pond but then I started reading that it isn't a good idea to salt the pond, just use it for "healing purposes" in a separate medical tank situation, so I stopped using it. The fish don't seem any worse off without it, but who knows.

Hopefully others who know more can help you with this.

Good luck!!
    Anne

• marilyn_c
    12 years ago

I have had ponds for 45 years and haven't added salt to any yet and no plans to. I did add a small amount of salt to water in aquariums, where I kept fancy goldfish.

One thing I want to stress...taking your fish from this very old water and putting them into completely fresh water (chlorine or not) is likely to kill them. I would remove all debris, and do partial water changes over a period of weeks, a little at a time.

When you add water to the pond, spray it up and into the air before it splashes into the pond. If you have a pump or way to circulate the water, do that, but always "splash" new water into a pond.

• shakaho
    12 years ago

Please don't use salt in your pond. Salt can be a valuable medication, but not if you use it routinely.

As Marilyn said, you want to change water so slowly that the fish don't notice. Rather than replacing water all at once, let the new water trickle in (over even drip in) over a period of several hours to a day.

• pondbucket
    12 years ago

I've never used salt either.

While you clean can you put plants and fish in a separate holding tank?

If your water garden is filthy then you're going to be releasing a lot of potential harmful bacteria in the crud mix.

I would not stock the golf course's pond if you want to cull the heard. If your fish have disease then leave them be and work it out -- if you must cull the heard I've been told that the humane way (if they're not health so you can't give them to other pond owners)is to place them with some of their water in a bag, one fish to bag, and freeze them. Their metabo shuts down and they go to rest.

Good luck. Glad you have the help you need.