Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

using milk method to find a leak question

jennyb5149
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I know I have a leak somewhere in my liner. I can fill the pond to the top and within 12 to 18 hours, the water line will lower about 3 inches. I painted a dot of nail polish on a rock to mark the low water point and it always stops at the mark. Happens every time regardless of temperature, wind or sunny or cloudy day.

I gave it a few half hearted attempts to reinforce some spots where I had liners overlapping but nothing helped yet. I really doubt those spots were the problem as the liners are overlapped with over 24" to spare on each side and it the overlaps only occur at waterfalls.

So, here's the question I have. I've read all about the milk method but am wondering if it will work in my particular pond. I have a shelf all around the edge of the pond 12-14" down. I have stacked rocks along the wall of the pond from that shelf up. I did this because I didn't want to have to look at liner if the water levels got low. (Works fantastic by the way). But, still would like to find the leak as it making the shallow pebble "beach" (thanks joann and cliff for the idea!) I added last fast useless. Water is too shallow there for the fish to come up and feed.

Would I be able to get an approximation of where the leak is by pouring the milk in with rock "wall" in place or do I need to bite the bullet, pull out all the rocks from the low water line and up in order to get a better idea of what the milk is doing and find out where the leak is?

Thanks in everyone in advance who is willing to share their trials and tribulations in leak finding expeditions.

Jenny

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH