Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do marginal plants work with waterproof pond?

Posted by mushibu10 zone 8 (UK) (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 13:18

hello.

I can't figure it out.

if a pond is lined with rubber, (my pond had concrete lining under rubber) and there is no 'ledge" for marginal plants and you plant it near the pond how does it work? the soil won't be wet? I can not "suss' it out. please explain.

and sorry for the rather obvious question?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do marginal plants work with waterproof pond?

I believe you have thought it thru correctly. However, you could create a ledge or have a little fountain, and most people have a waterfall that may create the same effect as a fountain that creates some over splash that could keep an unlined area damp (and require more frequent refilling). Otherwise, you water like everyone else.

o

thabk you for the reply so it's the extra splash and humidity?

I am yet to add plants but it was just puzzling me.

(also with that logic they can go anywhere but just soak them when ever I water them)

thabk you

Leo

o

My 75x35 foot pond has a rubber liner, when i built it i covered the liner with landscape fabric so it wasn't so hot in the 110 degree sun so my plants could grow over it. Now i take handfuls of water plants and pull them on the edge as long as they still have some roots in the water they do well.

o

I have built a bog area around 1 side of my pond for marginal plants. It is lined with a few small holes for some drainage. I only have manageable marginals--pitcher plants, Mexican petunia, Louisiana iris, several types of sedum and some kind of grass. It is also the area I have all the rocks I collect on various hikes and vacations, some drift wood and 2 metal cranes.

o

My 2 metal cranes are in my picture, also Mexican poppies, cannas, feather grass, creeping jenny and hyacinth. Wish I could have pitcher plants, too hot.

o

very nice looking lake. looks so natural!

this is the hole for my pond when I've finished cleaning. 5x5ft and 2.2ft deep.

o

Hi
I would keep all plants in pots in that situation. You can put another pot or milk crate under those that need shallower water What do you want to grow?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here