Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Another fish attack!!Grrr!!!

Calamity_J
10 years ago

Grrr!!! Last year I had an otter come and eat all my goldfish, fancies...my babies...then pond fell apart so had to redo, ok. Then restocked with fish...became attached, thought they were safe...well they made it over winter, then 3 days ago...BAM! The Jerk struck again!!! 2.5 fish left. Grrr! So now I will make a cage to go over the pond! I was thinking of fish net but am now gonna go with wire. Will build a wooden frame and then tack the wire mesh over it. I will also consider getting a price on a custom welded cover. Some people say they don't care for unsightly covers, but I am now a believer!! ;-) ha! Because my pond is basically a 10x6ft rectangle, it shouldn't be that hard to do. I may have to reconfigure some rocks to flatten the edges, but I Will do that.
Otter:2(x 20) Jane 0
NO MORE!!!

Comments (8)

• Mike56
    10 years ago

An Otter, really? Sorry about your babies. That's so heart breaking! Where did an Otter come from? Did you see him? Can it be trapped and relocated some place other than my pond? I have had Raccoon problems in past years and it made me sad and anger every time. We have fewer Raccoons now though .:-)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I've had muskrats before but no otters. They are locally endangered and are periodically released by various groups. Hope you get good results but they are smart and sneaky, I hear.

Maybe you should try an electric fence before you spend so much on a cover. They can be unobtrusive.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, otters are abundant here on Vancouver Island! I am told they have a 40 mile hunting range! There is natural streams, ponds, and of course ocean just down the road so will not be getting rid of them anytime soon...and an electric fence idea scares me cuz my chihuahua would be dumb enough to zap himself! I was thinking of one of those water scarecrows but it may find that fun! ;-) LOL! My only problem is the rocks I used for around the pond are flat but not all the same height.

• darla84
    10 years ago

I don't know if it would work on otters but it stopped my raccoons and has worked for about 3 years now its a cat scat, electronic pest repeller.. I point it down towards the pond pointing on the other side of the pond.

• frogman4_gw
    10 years ago

A fido fence(electric fence) will not hurt your dog. It might yelp like I do when I accidently touch it but it will derter any animal intruders. At lest for me it keeps out the many coons and Herons that are tempted. I can't see why it would not work on an Otter unless they are wearing rubber insulated shoes. lol

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will look into it. I was at another person's pond the other day, just in the neighborhood...their goldfish were HUGE! 8" long and so fat, I thought they were koi! I just didn't believe they do get that size...I went on a pond tour last year in Victoria(60 miles down Island) and it was wonderful to see the different ponds! They had people playing harps and other instruments at each pond too! A wonderful day! Once I get this sorted out, I would like to hunt down other ponders in this area and get a tour going!

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

I don't have any suggestions other than what have been already made.

You have worked so hard to create a pond heaven it is a shame a mere otter (though I do love them in their rightful place) has caused so much pain for you, not just once, but twice. I'm sure sorry you are going through this. It is so sad to lose our finny babies for any reason.

Maybe some of the other people in your area who pond have suggestions.

I think your dog would learn really fast to stay away from the electric wire. I have read they can hear it and associate the sound with pain.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Anne

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fortunately for me I have a friend who owns a pond supply store, and know I will get a good product and price for this electric fence. I am gonna bite the bullet and do it!!! Thanks everyone, for comments. I do want to enjoy my pond and fish so what the hey, I only hope it is not any more than a couple of hundred dollars...stay tuned... ;-)