Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poop or worms?

Posted by kashka_kat z4 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 13:30

Now there's an interesting subject line. Warning: not for the faint of heart!

There was a time when looking at fish parasite pictures made me feel physically ill. I've come a long way! The things you do for your fish.

My fish were not eating much throughout the winter - as they were in the basement and the tank water was between 40-46 most of the winter (unusually cold winter). Their poop has been looking strange since then - varying between clear, white, and the beige color of the food, sometimes tinged reddish. Sometimes really long and kind of worm like as long as 6 inches long and looking disgustingly kinda like the roundworm pictures. I can't really tell if its poop or worms though - they break apart kinda easily if I poke at it, but hold together if I vacuum them up, even the long ones.

In the last week or so water temps have gone above 50 so I started feeding them more, every other day... and it seems like they aren't pooping as much as I would expect. OMG never thought Id be worrying about fish poop.

It's been a rough winter - hope it gets better soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
re: worms

Im almost certain Im seeing evidence of tape worm segments - in addition to what may or may not be other types. Thankfully haven't seen the really long thin clear things lately. Had seen the little bits of white rice -like things periodically the last few weeks but was in denial - now that I started the Prazi treatment for flukes (started another 2nd treatment today) it seems like some longer pieces that do look segmented - and more of them.

UGHHHHH...... this is the most revolting thing ever. Of course now I have to think about all those times I was lax about washing my hands after mucking around in the pond.

I'm trying to figure out how to get prazi into the fish food so its more effective against the internal parasites - Im really not finding much of anything all that useful on the web - just that it can be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here