Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aladatrot

Bog Filtration for TOTAL newbie

aladatrot
12 years ago

OK, I'm not a newbie to ponds in general since I have two in my back pastures that we dug for water retention some years back. Stocked one with BIG catfish from another local pond, and the other pond has perch, minnows, and ducks. These ponds require zero maintenance.

I bought a Grand Cayman pre formed pond (165 gal) to go on the south side of my hen house in my back yard. I want to keep a bluegill or two in the pond so that in the winter I can just go flip them into my big ponds and start over every spring with new pond pets. **This may change if bluegill eat or disrupt plants**

Anyway, I think I want a bog filter after reading up on this forum and some other sites. I'd like to have a little bigger than what I need. From what I have seen, the bog is upfed with a PVC grid that has been square in the photos I have seen. Since you don't want dead flow areas within the bog substrate, does the bog need to be square?

Also, I plan to use a pea gravel bed to plant my bog plants in. How big of rocks should I use beneath the pea gravel, and are bricks or concrete chunks okay to use there as a base with the pea gravel on top? Will it hurt my system to have a lot more pump than what is called for on a 165 gallon pond? I would like to have some flow in the form of a water fall from my bog to my pond. How do I keep the fish from being sucked up against the screen in such a small pond with a big uptake pump?

Would also like a stream, but my pond will be in full sun. Would it be a problem to only run the stream pump and stream on a timer a few hours a day while I am home and let the stream bed go dry during the day? I figure this would cook the algae off the rocks before it forms into a goo slide.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but sometimes it is better to get differing views from people who know than to get waist deep into a project blindly.

Cheers

M

Comments (3)