Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

Has the impeller on my pump gone bad?

jennyb5149
12 years ago

Late last year I got a so called "new" oase swimskim from ebay. I planned (note past tense) on using it in the 6 foot deep addition I added last fall. I know a skimmer is a necessity because if leaves and stuff sink to the bottom, it will be a bear trying to get the bottom cleaned up. Better to get the gunk before it hits bottom.

Well I guess the old saying you get what you pay for is true here. I plugged it in and the pump would run in the unit but then the impeller would stop spinning. Sometimes a hard thump would get it going again but not always. In any case, I don't plan on standing next the pond thumping the swimskim every 5 to 10 minutes. I can just stand there with a net if that were the case!

I know Oase stopped making the swim skim but it seemed a perfect solution for my particular situation. The addition is separate from the main pond but connected to it via a 6" PVC pipe underground so my main skimmer won't be able to skim the surface of the addition. Replacement parts are still available. I can purchase a new impeller if necessary but a pump that fits the unit is not available.

I can fit all my mechanical knowledge in a thimble and am not sure what the heck is wrong with the pump. Does it just need a new impeller or have I got a bum pump?

Thanks! Jenny

Comments (5)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Jenny,
    I would say that there is a 99% probability that the impeller is the problem. The only other possibility would be if the removable volute is broken or the impeller shaft holders are worn or missing. Check the volute and see it is broken if not it looks like the new impeller gives you the shaft holders.
    Mike

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Jenny,

I don't know if this helps at all but last year I was having a similar problem with my Pondmaster pump. If I pulled it to clean the filter I had a terrible time getting it started again - thump, bump, whack - finally it would start up. I'd take it apart to clean it, but that didn't help.

I finally decided to replace the impeller since that was all scratched and wobbly and the store owner suggested replacing the screw-on casing as well. For the few dollars extra I did and good thing because I realized the old casing was cracked. Changing both made a world of difference in the pump's action.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not.
    Anne

• jennyb5149
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike and Anne! I didn't want to trash the thing if it was repairable. There is a spring in my step knowing that it can probably be fixed and I don't have to try to figure out some other way to skim the new addition.

:-)

You guys on this forum are the best! What would I do without Mike to answer my endless questions about mechanical things and plumbing??

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

If you haven't pulled the impeller out and checked the shaft, there may be something wrapped around it. Just pull it straight out. Most of the time I find human hair or tough plant fibers that have to be cut away.

• jane_in_bristol
    12 years ago

Hi,

I second Sleepless' idea. My experience (so far) is with aquariums, but most of the time it IS the impeller, and very often its just a matter of cleaning the impeller and magnetic housing. And yes, hair has a tendency to get caught in impellers. I have long hair, and I can't tell you how often I clean a few strands out of the impeller assembly, although I'm not too sure how it gets in there in the first place, because I tie it back to work on the tanks.

If the Manufacturer's impeller is available, get that. But if its no longer available, you may be able to substitute another brand. Keep the original one for the measurements. I've replaced many impellers on my aquarium filters. I'm not really sure why they lose their "zing", but they do. I've seen them rattling around in the chamber when I plug it in, only to have them not work in situ, so sometimes even if it LOOKS like it should be working, I try a new impeller, and voila, the filter is up and running again.

Best of Luck!
    -Jane

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner