Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimc_vt

Dog Pond,New pic's

jimc_vt
16 years ago

Hello Folks, This is an updated photo of the dog pond/pool from a year ago. ...Zeus my almost 2.5 y.o. lab loves to cool in the pond ,and today with the warm tempatures up here ,I started the pump up ....in my previous post I stated I added a new return hose to the upper pond(I went from a garden hose to a 1-1/4 dia hose with a another 1-1/4 hose to the blue pond with a ball valve), soooooooooooo the upper pond gets a lot of water and water falls into the blue pond at a quicker pace ,I have achieved the water fall effect I wanted ....with that said and all connections secured I fired up the pump only to watch the return line fall off the top of the pump and rocket water into the sky that came raining down on me a Zeus....(Zeus ran faster than I could) anyhow ,I tightened the clamp (always double check the clamps) and fired the pump back up and the pond pump is now woking fine....

The old staircase was to steep for the dogs (Zeus didn't care) but other dogs didn't like them so today I rebuilt the stairs so the angle is not as steep and it's easier for the dogs to get in and out of the pool/pond....for those of you that want to know why the wood is not floating .....under the bottom rung is a box with one big rock stuck in it to keep the steps from floating and then just a couple screws into the blue stock pond to keep the upper stair in place ....Zeus is on the old stairs,in the forst pic, his favorite toy a tennis ball is off to the Right ..)Second pic is new stairs.

Happy Ponding Jim :o)

Oh BTW we have 3 labs ,and they are not spoiled one bit :o)

{{gwi:194374}}{{gwi:194375}}

Comments (20)

• mycatsbc
    16 years ago

Looks great hope Zeus and other 2 Labs enjoy their pond.

• charlie_so_il
    16 years ago

My Standard Poodle isn't allowed in the "pond" - 110 gallon stock tank. But I could see her diving in and having a lovely time in a tank like yours! I guess you have to choose between dogs or fish?

Charlie

• collectordi
    16 years ago

My dog hates water but I'd like to cool off in that pond. Where did you get the blue pond and how do you keep the water clean and mosquito free?

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The black pond "upper" is a 250 gallon pond/kit that I bought used(locally)($200.00),the 1000 gallon blue stock tank/ pond was also used($150.00) ,and I found that after calling about a dozen farm supply stores one gentlemen had a used one for sale, and he had it setup as a swimming pool so his young kids could swim in it ,so I got it for half price....there is a small water pump under the little bridge(ebay,another $100.00) on the right and just behind the bridge is a 100 lb sand filter that came from our old pool buried in the sand that helps keep the pool clean ,plus I added a skimmer(another $40.00) and a bottom drain ...We add chlorine when algea start to creep in or the water looks cloudy ,so fish are out but amazingly frogs like the pond and so do turtles,which we capture and send on their way ...
    After a long walk yesterday Zeus was pretty hot,so I said " go ahead jump in" and he went right down the new stairs ,paddled around for minute and cooled off ,the water is very cold.
    If I had a lot of cash I would have a pro put in a bigger pond ,or just a fiberglass pool ....labs love the water ....and we love our labs ....so this is for them and us ...see ya Jim

• shelab15_aol_com
    16 years ago

I just bought a similar stock tank for my 3 labs 2 days ago. I was hoping it was going to be as easy to maintain as their little plastic kiddie pool was, but somehow I doubt it. I haven't filled it yet because I'm not sure what the best options are. I suppose it won't be practical to drain it and fill it every couple of days. It's 8ftx2ft and holds about 6oo gallons of water. I have no pool experience as you can tell. Will I definitely need a filter system? Also, it's a little difficult for 2 of my dogs to get into the pool, so I'll probably have to put it into the ground too and make some kind of steps or ramp. My husband thinks the dogs would have had just as much fun with another kiddie pool, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be too elaborate so he can't say I told you so...LOL
    Thanks...Nancy

• nkm56
    16 years ago

I used to have a boxer that loved water so much that I set up a wading pool for her, but I like your idea better. Lexi would have loved that.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy,The stairs in my pond are for "anything that falls into the pond" so they can get out ,critters, kids, ole dogs etc....my 2.5 y.o. Lab does not use them much to exit the pool,but he is starting to find the stairs easier than repeated jumping out the sides .....my 4.5 y.o. lab does not use the pond and when I place her in it to cool she heads right for the side and tries to claw her way out,my 12 y.o. lab likes the wading pool that we have for her ... ...I guess it's just the way they are ....
    The stock pond was set up for a kiddie pool when I bought it,with a small pump and filter and it had a suction and return line already plumbed when I bought it ,the whole filter pump assembly was for sale for app. $50.00 ...you may find one on ebay/or craigslist.com ....but I had an ole 100 lb sand filetr ,and I bought another pump off of ebay ....if you leave the stock tank above ground per se ,the pump will always be primed by gravity ,if you install it in the ground as i did ,the pump can loose it's prime if the water gets low (dogs exiting the water ,equals water loss,...)so we fill it up quite often...The dogs drag in dirt and grass ,and you have to clean the filter from time to time and the bottom usually has dirt and debris ,which I nor the dogs care about,every other day 1/4 cup of bleach goes in the pool to combat algea....(no fish in pond) the other reason I have a pump is the water fills the upper pond and water falls into the stock tank....I can offer guidance if you would like ,see ya Jim

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Mosquito Dunks are a commercial product made of BT which kills mosquito larvae with no harm to fish, pets, kids or wildlife.

They are readily available at Home Depot, garden centers, pond stores etc.

Anyone with water features with no fish should be using them.

• shelab15
    16 years ago

Thanks Jim...I'm still not sure what we're doing with our new doggie pool/pond. My husband is always a nervous Nellie about everything and is worried about running electric out to the pool and the water and all. Also, he thinks if we put the pool in the ground, the dogs will jump in it everytime they go outside..where as if it is above the ground, we can put a cover on it when we don't want them in it. I was so happy to see your pool and to know that I'm not the only person crazy about their dogs. I would love to put a big inground pool in for them, but I think when they poured the concrete, my husband might put me under it...LOL Just kidding...he's a great guy, just not much of an imagination for these things. Thanks again...Nancy

• destany
    16 years ago

Aww I'm sure they love it! What happy dogs you must have, my seven year old has been begging me to let him swim in our pond lol. He'd love it if I made one just for him.

• shelab15
    16 years ago

Finally finished the dog "pond", but it looks more like a pool or a spa. Two of our dogs are loving it, but third one is scared to jump in. Looks like we'll have to make stairs too. Thanks for your ideas Jim! Not sure how to post a picture or I would.

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Send me the pic and I'll post it for you ......I don't want to be the only one with a dog pond on the G.W. ,Good going Jim

• shelab15
    16 years ago

Hi Jim, I figured out how to post a picture, but in the pond gallery, not in this forum. Didn't know your e-mail address, so I posted the picture the best I could . I've since added stairs, since my 4 yr. old male wouldn't jump in...he will go down the stairs however.
    Thanks...Nancy

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Very nice.

• jphekman
    16 years ago

Hi all! I'm the person who mailed Jim on the NEARR list and he directed me over here...

I'm curious about getting sand and muck out of the pond. You said you have a sand filter? It gets that stuff out mostly? I know it won't be sparkling clean but I just worry that with dogs jumping in, it'll get disgustingly muddy pretty fast!

If you have to drain the pond, how do you do that? Do you have a drain built in? Where does it drain to?

My dog would be so jealous if he could see these ponds :) His previous home actually gave him up because they had an in-ground pool and they "couldn't keep him out of it and his fur clogged the filters."

Thanks,

Jessica

• jimc_vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jessica,In a nut shell ,the stock tank comes with a side/bottom drain,so if on land, you can drain it ...
    But I installed a shower drain in the middle/bottom of the stock tank (and sloped the ground towards the center),and I also installed a pool skimmer on the side (just under the little bridge ,you can't see it )(There once was a pool here and I am pool savy.)..The pool pump is also under the bridge ,The pump draws water from the bottom drain I installed and from the skimmer ....if the water level falls below the skimmers lowest point it will draw water from the bottom drain only...the skimmer gets grass bugs etc....the bottom drain gets the sand etc.....once thru the pump the water is filterd thru the ole pool filter (100 pound sand filter ) once filtered it is discharged thru a "tee" and is delived back to the stock tank and also up to the black pond where it waterfalls back into the stock tank (I can control the water flow to the black pond with a valve....)
    So it really is a pool more than a pond,a little clorox from time to time (1/4 cup) and the pump/filter running 8 hours aday is all it takes to keep it clean ...There is always a little dirt in the bottom,I don't keep it so clean kids would want to jump in ....and every now and then I need to disassemble the pump to clean the impellar of a small rock or grass....but dog hair does not seem to be an issue ....
    Anyone is more than welcome to drive to my home and see this and see all my mistakes .....next year I hope to improve the pond a bit more ....see ya Jim

BTW, if you come, bring a big rock with ya would ya ,I want to hide more of the black pond!

• gairmo
    15 years ago

I "googled" stock pond looking for information on a better idea for a swimming pool for my labs, and I found this post!
    Jim, I love your dog pool! Thank you SO much for putting the pictures and the explanation on GardenWeb!

• heavington
    15 years ago

How great is that!! Love the pic, and I am sure your pet loves his new pond.

D

• t_crew
    8 years ago

Hi Jim! We have two Frenchies and although my husband thinks I'm nuts, I want to install a pool for them this summer lol!

I am wondering if a recirculating pump like for a water feature will work or if it's necessary for the whole pool type assemble? Also, what's the easiest and best way to connect the upper and lower water to get that water fall effect?

Thanks!

Rileu