Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycle pond water

Posted by casiocarcharger (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 15:21

I have a 700 gallon pond that I regularly replace with fresh water monthly. (about 100 gallons)

Do you think that it is safe to use the old pond water for non-fruit trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycle pond water

Sure; but you could use it for fruit trees or almost any veggie too. I suppose one shouldn't use it on strawberry fruit, particularly since they aren't easily completely washed. Remember some of the things that are still routinely used as fertilizer in this world.

o

Hi
My main filtration for my 1000 gallon pond is a purge system Collected rainwater from the roof goes into the pool overflowing into a marsh garden from there onto shrubs Also do that with my indoor aquariums . In theory you could balance it out so as to be self sustaining.
this type of filtration is called Hydroponics or aquaponics depending on how far you want to carry the idea,
"Recycle" is what makes the world work lol
After all the worlds best fertilizer is cow manure . Waste to animals is manna from heaven for plants.
Why would you want to waste water?? gary

o

Ok, I forgot to add two concerns:

1. I use "Tetra Anti-Algae Blocks for fountains" in my pond (supposed to be safe for my fish)

2. Do you recommend I "dilute" the pond water when I recycle it for the trees?

o

I don't use chemicals in my pond water but I have been using pond water in my gardens for years and it works great.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

o

hi
I don't use any chemicals either, mainly because IME they don't work lol Does it work for you??
I'd skip the chemicals and work toward a balance between animals and plants. eliminating the problem??
test it out on some unwanted plants and see what happens ?? gary

o

After three years (since new pond), I now can see the bottom of my pond (3 feet). It is very clear!

I'm not sure if I can attribute it to my water lillies, the algae-block, or the bale.

But it's pretty awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here