Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farm pond leaking

Posted by pamghatten wny5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 15:56

I saw some helpful info from sneezer2 on another pond question ..

I have a 3/4 acre farm pond that is leaking. It is man-made, and I had it dug out 5 years ago which turned out great.

The north end of the pond is leaking. It is an embankment and the water is slowly trickling out of the bottom of the embankment in 2 places. It's been VERY dry, so it's easy to see where there is water.

My neighbor said the old owner, I've lived here for 11 years, had the same problem. Supposedly, he opened up the top of the embankment and filled it with a special clay.

Here's a picture when I had it dug out ...
ponddig1

Here's a picture from the other side looking back at the pond ..

Bhouse

Anyone have any idea how they would fix the leaks? I know there are are least 2 places it's leaking.

I called the people who dug it out 5 years ago, and asked them to come look at it and give me some idea's/prices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farm pond leaking

Ever considered a gunnite patch?
That is mixing in gunnite into soil in the area of the leak. Check with your contractor.

o

Thank you, I'll ask them about your suggestion. I've never heard of gunnite, I'll google that next.

o

Powdered Bentonite is often used to seal pond leaks and might be much more practical than gunnite. How it is used depends on the size and location of the leak. More info, please. Sandy

o

Hi Sandy,

Once I looked into what gunnite is, I knew I didn't want to use it. At this point, I don't know exactly where the leaks are coming from, except that they are coming from the North end of the pond. It is just a trickle of water, so the size of the leak can not be very large.

The ground in my area is made up of a small layer of topsoil, then clay, then shale.

I'm concerned that I'll have to empty the pond again, and I'll lose all my fish ... bass, blue gil, grass carp, goldfish, minnows, etc. Luckily the leak is on the shallow end of the pond ... so maybe just lowering the water level will do it.

We'll see.

I'm still waiting for the company to come look at it that does pond work.

o

Is this embankment the dam for the pond? Are there any pipes, gates or other waterflow structures? A leaking dam is serious business. Maybe you could describe the set-up more fully.

Mike

o

Mike,

If you look at the first picture above, behind that gazebo the ground slopes down. That is the "bank" that is leaking. All the other ground around the pond is even with the edge of the pond.

There are no pipes, gates or other waterflow structures there. The overflow for the pond is on the right hand side of the pond, and that area is very dry.

I read through lots of material on-line about bentonite, as mentioned above. And lots of the material talked about why ponds leak. One of the reasons was an extreme drought, which we had last summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here