Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snots34

Dead leaves on pond bottom, Bacteria?

snots34
10 years ago

I purchased a home in the country that has a pond about 1/8th of an acre and has depths up to 10 feet. I made the purchase about 10 months ago.

The pond was completely surrounded by trees. I cleared a lot of the small trees and vines last summer. The pond was neglected for about 15-20 years. In the fall, it is completely covered by dead leaves. I have found that there is roughly 1.5 to 2 feet of dead leaves on the bottom of the pond. Also, if I drop a 5 pound barbel weight from a boat, it comes up covered in leaves and black smelly twigs/sticks and muck.

I would like to clean this up a bit. Not only to increase it's depth but to get the smelly muck reduced. I am stocking the pond next friday with bluegill, bass, crappie and 2 grass carp.

Will products such as "Bio Boost - Muck Digester Bacteria Pellets" do the job of cleaning some of these dead leaves, sticks and muck? From what I have read online, some bacteria with eat the dead organic matter from pond bottoms -but am seeking experienced and educated opinions on this before I buy and or apply something like this.

Thank You for reading my post.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional