Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead leaves on pond bottom, Bacteria?

Posted by snots34 North West, IL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 16:05

I purchased a home in the country that has a pond about 1/8th of an acre and has depths up to 10 feet. I made the purchase about 10 months ago.

The pond was completely surrounded by trees. I cleared a lot of the small trees and vines last summer. The pond was neglected for about 15-20 years. In the fall, it is completely covered by dead leaves. I have found that there is roughly 1.5 to 2 feet of dead leaves on the bottom of the pond. Also, if I drop a 5 pound barbel weight from a boat, it comes up covered in leaves and black smelly twigs/sticks and muck.

I would like to clean this up a bit. Not only to increase it's depth but to get the smelly muck reduced. I am stocking the pond next friday with bluegill, bass, crappie and 2 grass carp.

Will products such as "Bio Boost - Muck Digester Bacteria Pellets" do the job of cleaning some of these dead leaves, sticks and muck? From what I have read online, some bacteria with eat the dead organic matter from pond bottoms -but am seeking experienced and educated opinions on this before I buy and or apply something like this.

Thank You for reading my post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead leaves on pond bottom, Bacteria?

Good luck. The smell is from anaerobic bacteria. It is encouraged when there is a lack of oxygen. That is not healthy for any fish you might add. (I take it that this is not a pond that has a natural constant flow of water. ) While eventually the muck might be reduced by bacteria, your best bet would be dredging.

o
RE: Dead leaves on pond bottom, Bacteria?

I do know that this is a spring fed pond. There are also 2 drain pipes in the dam.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to dredge it.

Thanks for your response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here