Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Koi POnd

Posted by fShake 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 16:17

Hey there,

So this is my 1st posting about a newly dug pond. My pond is 2300 to 2500 gallons, 13'x8' with the depth of 47 inches, and lined with billboard tarp. I have hooked my homemade skippy's bio filter to a 1800gph submersible pump.

I have treated my water with water dechlorinator and bio starter.

After 3 days of running the filter, I introduced plants and 50 feeder fish. The next morning 10 to 15 fish were dead and the rest to this date (4 days) are resting at the bottom of the pond. I have checked my PH which is 7.6-7.7.

Does the above raise red flags? is there something going wrong in my pond or I just have to wait till the pond cycles?

Current water temperature is 56F < 60F.

Thanks,
F

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Koi POnd

Fish often die in new ponds, I would have waited three weeks not three days...It needs to cycle

o

Have you tested ammonia and nitrite? If not, please do so. I'm not sure I understand your time line. Is it now 4 days since 10-15 fish died? Have no more fish died? If so, you probably lost sick fish.

The temperature is pretty low, if they went from 75F to <60F, that's pretty stressful, and lying on the bottom is normal for cold fish.

o

Feeder fish often die quickly. They aren't often treated well and aren't all that healthy to begin with. They are food. If you have that many survivors you have had pretty good luck.

o

Thanks all!

o

what is the ideal ammonia and nitrite reading?

o

First off NEVER put feeder fish in a pond. They are often diseased and shipped in too small of containers, introducing yet more fish disease. I would sell the feeders back or put them in a tank and remove all the water and begin again. I have worked extensively with feeder fish and every morning we'd scoop out 20 dead or dying out of the 300 they raise in a 10 gallon tank. I have a Water Gardening book coming out soon, so that may help. Also I'd get the complete test kit as mentioned above. BTW if you have any lotus or water lily's to trade, I am volunteering to plant them at our new park. TY!

Here is a link that might be useful: FB

o

The only safe levels of ammonia and nitrite are zero.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here