Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radaar_gw

Pressurized filters

radaar
13 years ago

We want to upgrade our pond filter with a pressurized filter complete with UV and backwash feature. The brands we have looked at or that are available locally are Laguna, Tetra and Cyprio. One retailer advised against the laguna that his competition sells but other than that we haven't heard any reviews on any of them. Can anyone recommend one ? Doesn't have to be from the 3 above as we could order one if these don't measure up. Pond is about 1300gal. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Comments (6)

• groundbeef
    13 years ago

I have used a pressurized filter system from Pet Mate for years. I've been very happy with the results.

http://www.pet-mate.com/Fish_Mate/Filters/UVBio_PressurisedPond_Filters_US.htm#264

With my new pond size I'll have to get a new filter myself!

• radaar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link, Groundbeef. Pet-mate is a brand I hadn't come across.....would you get the same filter again?

• groundbeef
    13 years ago

Yes. In fact, I'm looking to get a larger one now that I've doubled the size of my pond.

It's never let me down. And the customer service has been excellent. Two winters ago my filter cracke due to some really unexpected cold weather that froze up the filter. Totally my fault for leaving it out in the winter, but I was a novice.

Pet-Mate sent me a new filter housing to replace the broken one right away and didn't even charge me for it (even after I explained that I was the idiot).

The UV bulbs I replace every year but I do buy those from Lowes @$9.95.

Good luck.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I have a cyprio 2000/w/uv, and bought it from an aquaintance, and it is no longer sold in Canada, but I can still get substitute filters if I want, the bulb replacement is gonna run me $40 till they can't be had too. I like the sound of this PetMate, that is a very reasonable price for a bulb!!!

• radaar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calamity........I'm also in Canada. Are you sure Cyprio products aren't sold here cause our local pet store was stocking shelves when I was there very recently and I saw Cyprio filters. I guess it could have been old stock?
    I came across a Canadian online pond supplier that gives a rating of some of the brands they sell and was surprised to see they rated Laguna the highest. I'm getting more confused all the time...maybe I'll go back to our DIY filter. I've never spent money on a filter and to spend 4 or 5 hundred now I'd like to make the right decision.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I like checking out Ponds on Line Canada, as they have a great selection, I know oase is a good brand too, but kinda the "cadillac" brand of pond products$. But that said, I have only had my pond for 1yr, but have reseached for a few yrs here, and am thinking of one of those big homemade skippy things if/when this filter goes. I am considering a uv light tho. And they have these filter grass things for the bottom of your pond, the good bacteria grows on it, to feed the fish and help keep the pond clear, they are $100 tho and it says they are good for 1000gal each, so I would need 2, and I was also thinking of an aerator, again, it all cost $$$...ah, champagne taste on a beer budget!!ha! Then reality hits home, I wanted a pond for the water lilies, so added a few goldfish...so when did I get carried away and put in a 1600 gal pond? And want BIGGER!!!lol! Like I wanna double the size! Sheesh, it never ends!!!