Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using hoops to hold plants in center of pond

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 16:27

I've never done this, since my ponds are so tiny, but someone has asked me about it for her lake and I suggested something like a hula hoop to hold plants together. Then she asked what keeps them afloat..........and I hadn't thought about that! Suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using hoops to hold plants in center of pond

I believe it is the air in the hollow hoop that keeps them afloat. I don't know if you have to seal them where they connect though. Someone here uses them (maybe goodkarma), so hopefully they will chime in.

Anne

o

I have seen hula hoops used to contain floaters. They float. I've also seen styrofoam used like that which you use to insulate pipes with.

o

So is it only floaters that people use in the hoops? I guess I'm confusing the hoops with something like the smaller round styrofoam things that have a pot in the middle of them.

o

I have used a hulahoop to corral fish food and hyacinths. It works very well if you put a leash on it to hold it in place. I had to tape two together to prevent the food from washing out.

o

Catherine,

Sorry I misunderstood your question. There are a number of ways to create a "floating Island" We've had threads about them before. Two ways I have used are:
1. Using a hard foam circles found in the florist aisle and attaching a liner for a wire planter and filling with pond "soil" or pebbles.
Creeping jenny

2. Cutting small holes in a kneeling foam pad and sticking the bare roots in hosta & ajunga worked great for me. I think others have mentioned impatients too.

You can buy floating islands, but they are pretty expensive. Below is a link to some of the threads on the floating island subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floating Island Thread

o

Thanks Everyone!

o

I snagged some soft frisbee's out of the target dollar bins and am finding them pretty handy for floating islands.

~dianne

o

I use grey pipe insulation to contain my plants. You can just ties the ends together or, if you want a place for baby fish to hide, use a black laundry basket (I get mine a Dollar Store). Tape a couple of pieces of pipe insulation around the handles with electrical tape. The laundry basket provides a good place for baby fish to hide and it keeps tender plant roots safe from hungry fishies!

o

If you are looking for a small inexpensive hula hoop they are available for $1 at the Dollar tree. They have ribbon wrapped around clear plastic tubing and the thing that holds the hoop together is easy to remove and silicon for water tight seal. I am making mini water lily protectors with these hoops and big hole netting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here