Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billinpa

LED pond lights

billinpa
15 years ago

I know it was posted here before. But wasnt there a write up on how to build a set of DIY pond lights with LED's. I think the search feature is down. I have searched and found threads talking about it but they will not open. Garden web keeps thowing an error message. Hopefully someone saved the link.

Comments (2)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are Tommyc's instructions for the LED light assembly. It can be used for the pond lighting too. I have a headache after that search marathon. I put it in my clippings since I think there have been other requests. There is another relevant clipping but since I haven't figured out the clippings feature yet I may have to put it in another post. I'm going back to see if I can retrieve the picture but it may be gone for good. Sandy

RE: Inserting LED lights into your tufa creations (Follow-Up #26)
    posted by: Tommyc on 05.03.2005 at 10:04 pm in Hypertufa Forum

Heres My Original Post about the way I put the LED's outside. One winter outdoors and they are going strong. The Liquid Electrical tape is good to use to cover the exposed wire, and then wrap it in regular electrical tape. Also, If you use silicone around the bare wire, put it on a little at a time. The wet silicone has a tendency to do something to the resistor, maybe getting inside the plastic coating. Also make sure you overlap the crystal of the LED just a little so that water won't get inbetween the crystal and posts exiting the Crystal. Be careful on buying Super Bright LED's... Every package you see anywhere will say they are superbrights, inreality they aren't. I know the Superbright LED website are truly Super Bright.
    LED Pond Lights 2004

Here are the directions to making Pond Lights with SUPER BRIGHT LEDs. These LEDÂs are Super bright Literally. You canÂt get these LEDÂs in any store. Some store clerks will tell you that they are super bright, but in the end, until you see these, you canÂt appreciate the intense brightness and pure color they emit. ItÂs a very easy project and low cost.

Super Bright LEDÂs http://superbrightleds.com/
    5 mm type with high MCD rating. The lower Degree Angle the narrower the beam of light it emits. I like the higher degree when lighting a broader area. The Lower degree produces a narrower more intense beam.

Resistors from Radio Shack
    ½ watt 470 Ohm #271-1115 (.99 Cents for 5) One per LED
    HereÂs a calculator to figure out what resistor to use with different voltage supplies http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/

Wire I used Lamp wire. It doesnÂt have to be too heavy since its not using 110 volts.
    Thin Computer wire is what I use from the LED (9 inches) to the lamp wire. Its easy to work with (Bendable) and color coded.

Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Wire Stripper
    Electrical Tape
    Electrical Wire Twist Caps

Radio Shack 12volt Power Inverter (2.5 to 5 amp) Mine is 2.5
    This is the most expensive part of the project. I think the new Radio Shack power inverters are 3 amps. I think its important to be a regulated power supply too. I think its around $35.

1" PVC Pipes and end caps used as the fixtures for the LEDÂs to mounted in.

Drill & Drill Bits for drilling holes for the LED lens to be mounted in.

ASSEMBLY Directions

--Solder the Resistor to the Longer prong from the LED. Solder the computer wire to that led this is the positive side. Now solder a new Computer wire to the Negative prong of the LED.

-- Make sure you wrap each prong with electrical tape separately so that they do not touch when you mount them. Better Yet USE LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE.

-- Attach the lamp wire to the computer wire and attach them together by using the electrical twist caps. By using these caps you can easily take the LEDs off of the wire.

-- Drill a hole in the PVC end cap from the side closer to the round top of the cap (or whatever angle you want it to shine onto). Use a 3/16 drill bit. It is smaller than the LED lens but you can widen the hole a little and then the LED will fit snugly into the hole by pressing the LED at the base into the whole with a small screw driver. If you use 7/32 the LED will fit easily but you will have to put super glue into hole to securely hold the LED in. If you glue it in, you wonÂt be able to take the LED in the future.

-- Drill a hole about 4 inches from the bottom of PVC tube. Place the wire through that hole. This is the hole that connects it to the power line that finally connects to power supply. Now using a hammer, gently put the PVC Tube into the ground where you want the Light to go. I didnÂt place the wire under the ground, I just laid it on the ground and allowed the plants to cover the wire. This gives me the opportunity to add lights or do any maintenance in the future easily. The plants hide the black lamp wire nicely. Finally press on the End Cap with the LED gently onto the PVC pipe. There is no need to glue that on. It fits on nicely.

ï® Now finally run the wire to where you locate the power supply. Make sure you place the positive terminal to the resistor side.
    ï® Finally, I placed the power supply in the garage on a timer so that its only on at night.

This is a very low cost way of dramatically accenting your pond or anything at night. The lights are brilliant, and much nicer than those Malibu "Landing Lights" everyone uses. I hardly use any electricity, and I do monitor it daily. Below are pics that easily depict what IÂm trying to describe here.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I give up. I think you should read the whole thread for some additional ideas. This post was from Rustinj on Dec.16,04 and refers to an earlier post from Tommyc that I can't locate. It may very well happen that there is a newer method since this one has been out there for a while. Is there a way to clip the entire thread? Sandy