Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do mosquitos swarm my pond? (no standing water)

Posted by curlylindsay 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 16:55

I have a 10x10 pond with lots of water movement, clean water, and no standing water and the mosquitoes (already! yikes!) make it miserable to be near, even in the middle of the day!

The area is pretty shady.

Is there something I am doing wrong or is this normal? Is there anything I can do in or around my pond to naturally discourage them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do mosquitos swarm my pond? (no standing water)

Have you made sure that there aren't other sources of standing water? And are you sure that you are seeing mosquitos and not gnats. I have often seen little bugs flying around and mistakenly immediately thought mosquitos.

If you are being bitten to death then neVERRR mind.

o
RE: Why do mosquitos swarm my pond? (no standing water)

• Posted by kalevi 4 Ottawa, ON (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 11:41

I often get swarms of flying things that at first glance appear to be mosquitoes near my pond. They normally aren't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here