Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

quick lotus help please

cody_mi
12 years ago

three years ago i traded with people here for a bunch of different lotus'. i put them in plastic drums that i cut in half and then filled half full of cow manure and sand. the first year they all grew and bloomed. the second year half bloomed. last year, i only got leaves on two of them with no flowers. i decided to turn the barrels into sarracenia bogs. so i started digging them out, lo and behold the lotus all have healthy white tubers, although they're skinny. what should i do with them at this point. the barrel water got nasty immediately and started housing critters and yard debris filled them daily. they got to be too hard to clean out once the plants started growing. i know they're supposed to have water over the tubers, but how much is the minimum? the leaves were flopped all over while in the tubs and i'd like to avoid that. can i just leave three inches of water over them and then fill the tubs mostly full of manure and then cover with chicken wire to keep out frogs, turtles and such? i'd put them in our big pond but they only last about a week down there before something eats them. i'm putting in a large bog that i'm lining with plastic that will be about two feet deep. would it be possible to do something like that with the lotus and just keep the soil really wet? help please!

Comments (3)