Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this pond plant?

Posted by spanky_md 7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:23

We have a large mud bottom pond (110' x 50') that is coming back to life after the previous owners put herbicide into it. Last summer there was a healthy clump of red ludwigia that spread slowly, and some kind of grass that has extremely sharp stems or leaves.

This spring I noticed a big clump of something new. I thought it was algae at first but i don't think so. It's not small pondweed--that has leaves like narrow blades of grass and this has just hair-like leaves. Or whatever they are. It is rooted in the bottom, I guess (hard to see) and frogs and fish seem to like it to hide in.

This little branchlet is about 5" to 6" long total. I've looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything that looked just like it but there are a lot of photos of stuff that don't show a single plant or branch, so it's hard to tell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this pond plant?

Looks like it could be a weak Cabomba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabomba_caroliniana

if it is then lucky you.. it is a pretty good oxygenater and a fine spawning mat.

o
RE: What is this pond plant?

thanks---but I think it has a different branching habit than cabomba. There are a bunch of stems (?) at the end of a stem, and then one of those will end in a bunch of new stems. The multiple stems grow from the same point, not from different points along the stem. I don't know better how to describe it better--sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here