Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joraines_gw

Water Lilies 'Thrown' in Pond

joraines
12 years ago

My brother was kind enough to share some irises and water lilies from his established pond for my new/under-construction koi pond. As I had no basket planters or pond soil medium, I went staight home from his house and literally threw them in my pond. They have long roots, pond muck and quite established tubers and leaves. I'm hoping they will at least survive until I am able to get what I need to 'anchor' them down and supply them with what they need to grow. Can anyone tell me it's 'okay' to just toss lilies in a pond to float about until you can provide them a permanent home? (There are currently no fish and our very large pond lays alongside our creek and has fresh creek water circulating through. Thanks!!!!!!!! I find very helpful, informative threads here.

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    IME about the only thing that will do them in is to completely dry out. Some species can even tolerate that lol
    About the only great difference that's obvious is the size and number of flowers. when potted .
    They should be okay for at least a couple of months maybe more?? gary

• chas045
    12 years ago

At least for the short term I can confirm garyfla because I have essentially done the same with some extra lillies and they are growing fine.

• casiocarcharger
    12 years ago

I just saw your post. Take a look at what I found, it is similar to your situation
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0420380711805.html?2

• joraines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the reassurance! I so appreciate the responses and the link! Now if only someone could tell me that my poor hibiscus and lantana that got burned by the frost last night will return, I'll be a happy fledgling gardener!

• chas045
    12 years ago

I think you will be a happy camper. I'm in NORTH Carolina and we get late frosts. I don't think there is any issue for lantana because they grow through the winter some. If the new hibiscus shoots die, they should just send up more.

• joraines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the encouraging message, chas045! I hope they didn't completely get killed, maybe just snipped back a bit. It was this way-early warm spring we had and then WHAM! But as a pretty new gardener (with new plants I have little experience with) I am like a fussy first time mother. Any little sneeze and I fear a major illness!!!!