Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Pic of lotus tubers before division

catherinet
16 years ago

Hi all,

Hubby helped me dig these containers up yesterday. I decided to dump them out today and harvest some new tubers for this year. Thought those of you who hadn't seen what's in the bottom of lotus containers, might appreciate this picture.

I've had this lotus for 2 years. I didn't think it needed divided yet, as it hadn't even bloomed the first year. Just for the heck of it, I decided to dump it out and see what was there. Plus, it was good weather, and I had the time. I may not have such good conditions next year.

At first, it looked okay, but then I found this big mass of tubers all stuffed together on one side. I cut them up into smaller tubers, each with about 3 eyes.

I don't really even wash all the dirt off of the mass. I just gently pull up on the long line of tubers, and cut them off. Now all that's left to do is put new soil in the container, and gently anchor the tuber(s) to the soil with a landscape staple, and put them in the stocktank, where they'll live for the summer.

I'm keeping them submerged in a big bucket of water on the deck until I can plant them later this week.

{{gwi:192173}}

Comments (13)

• teri904
    16 years ago

lol catherinet...that is exactly what mine looked like when I dump mine out today then I thought to myself O MY GOSH what did I just get myself into as I have no clue. I started this lotus by seed in March of last year and planted it outside around May. I thought it didn't make it through the winter as I hadn't seen anything coming up from it yet so I decide to dump it out and look boy was I surprise to see that mass of roots from such a small plant last summer. I also have my tubers sitting in water until I can get a few potted. I have no ideal what I will do with the rest of the tubers. I have read some where a lotus started from seed will take three years to bloom. I figured I had killed the lotus because I had been trimming the dead leaves back below the water until I read on here you weren't suppose to :o)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi teri,
    Were your tubers big and fat? That seems like alot of growing just from seed from last year. Did they make alot of leaves last year? But you know lotus........growing and multiplying is what they do best!
    When I thinned one of them last year, I left the pile of them that I didn't want just sitting there on the ground for several weeks. It got totally dried out. Then when I decided to move it to the compost pile, I found one growing! I put it in the stocktank, and it continued to grow all summer!
    That was pretty amazing considering how careful everyone says we have to be with them.
    I've heard they are good to eat, but it would be hard for me to eat them, after seeing what they grow in. haha
    Good luck with your tubers!

• teri904
    16 years ago

The mass of roots looked just like your picture they were big and fat but not as fat and big as the tuber I bought from bonniesplants.com this spring but I was amaze at the size due to the fact it was started from a seed last spring. I did break a few points off when trying to divide them but got more then enough tubers from it. Yes it leaf out a lot stems about 3 feet high. I just knew it was going to bloom anytime until someone told me it wouldn't until the third year :o(

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's amazing, isn't it? Wow......all that in 1 season, from a little seed! You must have the magic touch. Seems like it should have enough energy to bloom for you this summer. Be sure to post a pic of it when it happens!

• threas
    16 years ago

I just divided my lotus for the first time in 3 yrs. It didn't bloom last summer, probably because it was so crowded and no dirt left. It was all tubers! Does anyone know if the divided individual tubers will bloom this summer?

Theresa

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They probably will Theresa.
    Last Spring was my first time to divide lotuses, and they all bloomed last summer. I think the ones we get from our own lotuses tend to be in better shape than the ones we order.
    I wish they would slow down a bit! Where does that soil go?? They must absorb it or something!

• threas
    16 years ago

Thank you ,Catherine? I've been following your "French Connection".LOL So weird the way it changes by itself! Do you know where I can get the Siberian Pink Cups that Joyce has a posted pic of? They are so pretty!

Theresa

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow.......the weirdest name/symbols were posted as me and I couldn't even post anything. I re-logged in, and I'm hoping that might put me back to normal.
    Anyhow.....Sorry Theresa, I don't know where you can get those. You could address a post here to Joyce or send her a private message. Good luck.

• magdaloonie
    16 years ago

Pondplants.com has the Siberian Pink Cups for sale.

My first lotus leaf is out of the water but still tightly rolled. I hope it makes a kajillion tubers because it's getting a bigger tub next year. It'll fun to see what's in there.
    Vanessa

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm so envious Vanessa! But......our temps are supposed to get down to freezing this weekend (the lows at night), so I'll probably bring the buckets-o-tubers in the house for the night. Then I'll think about planting them next week. You lotus will, no doubt, indeed make a kajillion tubers! Be sure to feed it heavily throughout the summer.
    I have been so tempted to do my thinning in the fall........harvest a tuber, but either bury it for the winter, or put it under soil in a container and drop it in the pond, all ready for next year. I have no idea what would happen. Isn't that how they grow in ponds? .......they send up shoots from those deep tubers? It would be nice having them all ready to go in the spring.
    I'm usually pooped by Fall, and say "Oh.....I'll just do it in the spring again".
    I'm tempted to put 2 tubers in my container, but I guess that might be defeating the purpose of thinning them. I just get so greedy! hahaha

• pat_c
    16 years ago

Woohoo Cathy! Looks like you hit paydirt with those Lotus. Great job. Should be beautiful this year.! Pat

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Pat! I was just thinking about you yesterday! ...and hoping you were doing well. Hopefully, some day you'll be back here more often, talking about all your water gardening stuff!

• threas
    16 years ago

Thank you Catherine & Vanessa.

Theresa