Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theanimala

Cheap pond filter media?

theanimala
11 years ago

I moved into a house about 7 years ago that had a small pond (around 400 gal I guess) surrounded by bamboo. Over the years the bamboo went wild and overgrew it's territory and slowly invaded the pond. Last year I had all of the bamboo dug out by hand (what a project) and a new pond put in that is probably around 1200 gallons. Still need to do the exact math. Anyway, I have a skimmer and a waterfall that splits into two smaller falls before it drops into the pond. I read somewhere last year about using dish washing scubs and sponges as biological filter media. I went to the dollar store and bought lots of scrubbies and sponges and placed them inside my skimmer and waterfall box. I also bought some cheap "pond" filtration media from ebay to catch the big debre in my pond. Along with that I did buy several hundred bio-balls from an ebay reseller which I have in the waterfall. Lastly, I am temporarily using my old Fishmate 1000UV filter to help as well until things are really solid.

So far it seems to be working pretty good. I have plenty of extra space in my skimmer and waterfall and was looking if there are any other cheaper recommendations I could use to help keep my pond moving in the right direction.. ?

Comments (5)