Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap pond filter media?

Posted by theanimala z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 21:47

I moved into a house about 7 years ago that had a small pond (around 400 gal I guess) surrounded by bamboo. Over the years the bamboo went wild and overgrew it's territory and slowly invaded the pond. Last year I had all of the bamboo dug out by hand (what a project) and a new pond put in that is probably around 1200 gallons. Still need to do the exact math. Anyway, I have a skimmer and a waterfall that splits into two smaller falls before it drops into the pond. I read somewhere last year about using dish washing scubs and sponges as biological filter media. I went to the dollar store and bought lots of scrubbies and sponges and placed them inside my skimmer and waterfall box. I also bought some cheap "pond" filtration media from ebay to catch the big debre in my pond. Along with that I did buy several hundred bio-balls from an ebay reseller which I have in the waterfall. Lastly, I am temporarily using my old Fishmate 1000UV filter to help as well until things are really solid.

So far it seems to be working pretty good. I have plenty of extra space in my skimmer and waterfall and was looking if there are any other cheaper recommendations I could use to help keep my pond moving in the right direction.. ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap pond filter media?

I collect any kind of pieces of plastic for media -- bottle caps, drinking straws, leftover pieces of pvc pipe, I put them in a mesh bag and toss in a filter. It's probably all thrown away now, but Easter basket "grass" stuffed in a nylon stocking is very nice. I've heard of cutting 5/8" drip irrigation hose into pieces 1 1/2 inches long. It's a very nice product (and cheap) but that's a lot of cutting.

o

• Posted by maxbo z6 wPA. (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 18:49

Biofil. Is the Best thing I have found. One of the most important things is a Uv light

o

Another thing people have mentioned is the plastic deer fencing. I make scrubbies out of nylon net from the fabric store and when I got tired of making them I just scrunched up the net and it works just fine. It's not expensive. I also use washable air conditioner filter material. It lasts and lasts.

o

Plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store. Cheap and they work very well.

o

Plastic pot scrubbers is what I bought last year and I have several of them in there, I will look at buying some more. Regarding the deer fencing, that's what my prior pond had as it's filter medium. It didn't work the best but I believe that's because I did not clean it often enough and the pump I had was a bit underpowered. Thanks for all of the ideas guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here