Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrefcf

New pond

ogrefcf
12 years ago

Hey all, new to the pond forum. Do most my hanging out in the Hosta forum. I have a corner I decided to put a small pond with a waterfall in. It will be about 6'x4' and 2-3' deep.

I read the sticky's and viewed many of the post here to get some ideas. I am getting a 10x15' 45mil EPDM pond guard liner and underlayment to go with it. I read some people put carpet down with the under layment, is that necessarily or just a precaution?

I am going to build my own bio filter. I used to do larger aquariums and have done a few before. I have a pump that is over 800 GPH I am going use to begin with. Not really planing on any fish (not enough room) mostly plants.

I am going to begin digging tomorrow if the weather holds up, its been raining here. Any advise or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Owen

Comments (8)

• chas045
    12 years ago

I would say that you have the carpet question backwards. There is no need for underlayment if you use carpet. Carpet can be free!

800GPH is not a very big waterfall, you will probably want to keep it to a few inches wide.

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Any advice? Read anything pcan has posted :)

Oh, and with the size you are planning, you can have a few comet goldfish or ruby reds. They will help with bugs and bio balance.

~dianne

• ogrefcf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! Have have read most of Pcan threads, beautiful pond and yard!. She lives about an hour from me I believe. Chas thanks for the clarification on the carpet. That will save some money.

• pondbucket
    12 years ago

Build it as big as you can... (sounds like you've already decided)... bigger water gardens balance out nicer, easier.

Filter, filter... bio filter. Make it something easy to et to and clean.

I've decided I don't really like the ledges in the water garden as many have described. Most plants either like shallow or deep, intermediate ledges are for things to step in and out onto... like animals... they're trouble if you're planning this to be primarily for the garden effect.

And yeah, 800 gph isn't a lot.
    I like MagDrive pumps. Been using two for four years without a single hitch... no oil to worry about.

Good luck.

• ogrefcf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Pondbucket. I'm limited on size or I would go bigger. Wife's to scared of a bigger one with the kids.

With the size of my pond I think I will skip the ledges and do the whole pond 3' deep. Thanks for the tip.

I know the 800 isn't enough, but it's what I have now and free, so I will upgrade later. I'll look into the MagDrives, I too have heard they are good pumps.

Almost have the whole done as of now. Just over 2' deep. Hit the nice rocky soil and needed a break. Thanks again for the help and tips.

Owen

• ogrefcf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carpet question. Carpet side up when you put it in, so the carpet is touching the liner?

• chas045
    12 years ago

Carpet side: well I did as you describe and still think it is good that way, but down might be ok. You are almost certain to have dirt and small rocks fall between the liner and rug as (and after) you install, and the soft face should absorb the lumpy and possibly sharp issues.

I'm glad you hadn't already purchased the underlayment. I have rug under everything including a utility pond (garden water storage) that has some exposed rug at the sides. I have also moved some originally installed rug. Therefore, I can safely say that neither exposed or covered rug including rug sitting in water due to poor design overflows, has deteriorated or become stinky in 4+ years.

Free rug is available from rug installers. Call the carpet store. They will probably be happy to have you yank some rug from their dumpster as long as you don't make a mess, and be sure that you leave more room in the dumpster afterwards.

• ogrefcf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had two friend in the area that had carpet so I got half a roll. Now just need it to stop raining and my liner to get here. I'm lucky to have a rock quarry a few miles from my house. $20 buck a pick up load for rocks of any size. Found some one local selling water lillie starts for a couple bucks so going to grab some tuesday. Hope to have the pond up and running by Friday. Thanks again for all the help and advice!