Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Aquariumplants.com sent me the wrong lily :/

CaraRose
10 years ago

Anyone have to deal with aquariumplants.com for a return/exchange? I ordered a helvola hardy and colorata tropical lily. Opened them up today and the helvola is lovely-- and instead of a colorata they sent me a Colorado hardy :/

The colorado isn't going to fit in my pond (I'm pushing it with the helvola and the colorata). I e-mailed them but am not sure how long it will take for them to get back to me, especially with the 3 day weekend. I wrapped the Colorado back up into the packaging it came in, but I'm not sure what to do with it in the meantime-- just make sure it stays moist?

Comments (14)

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

I would get it in the pond. Don't plant it......put a rubber band around the tuber, stick a rock in the rubber band and drop it in the pond until you have return instructions.

It really needs to get in the water.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I should use my container water garden (it's empty, but I can refill to any level)?

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

Well, I wouldn't. Since you're in zone 5, your groundwater is still going to be kind of cold........

The difference is that the bottom of the pond is probably a little warmer than your new filled container with cold groundwater.

But, honestly, ANY water is better than leaving it sitting in packing materials over a holiday weekend and then shipping it back. That's just too long out of the water.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got it in the container. Though I talked to someone on memorial day from them, and the guy said the person who does the orders will be in touch. Haven't heard anything but got a ship notification. I think they may just be writing off this colorado (I think it costs $13) and shipping me my Colorata. If that's the case, I need to figure out what to do with the Colorado... I'd hate to have to just toss it.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

If the size won't work for you put it on Craig's list and someone will love having it.

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

Oh my! It's my favorite water lily! I'd love to trade for it......

I have Fabiola and Perry's Double White lilies.

I lost all my Colorado lilies in my move last year - the container pond got left behind by mistake.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glitterati-- I don't really have room in the pond for another lily. Do you have an bog plants or marginals?

If not, are either of the lilies you're offering suitable to grow in a container water garden made out of a 24" pot?

If no for any of those, if you walk me through how to send it and pay shipping, I'll send it to you anyway :)

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

I do have others, but I'm afraid such a small container would be quickly overwhelmed.......

The only 2 I think might fit would be Thalia dealbata (water canna, as it will grow tall, not out into the tub crowding the lilies), or red stemmed parrots feather.

You would have to keep the parrots feather under control, as once it starts to grow, it really takes off, but it's easy......you don't even pot up parrots feather, just let it float. And, the red stemmed is pretty.

And don't let me mislead you, the water canna would also require maintenance as it multiplies quickly with new stems. Planted in gravel, rather than soil would make that task easier in a small tub.

on edit:
    The Perry's Double White would be OK in a small tub, but since you have 2 in there already, you are probably at your max.

What you want to avoid is anything that will shade your existing lilies - the helvola needs lots and lots of sun to thrive and bloom.

This post was edited by Glitterati-GA7b on Fri, May 31, 13 at 13:48

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, to clarify, I have a larger (still small) pond I've built. But I have three dwarf lilies in it right now, which I think is it's limit (I'm probably pushing it, I have the colorata, the helvola, and a joanne pring that was in my container garden last year). I have more room still in my marginal shelf and bog around the pond. The bog currently only has a marsh marigold, two cardinal flowers, and a few Japanese irises. So I really could use bog plants.

If I did take another lily, I'd put in the container I mentioned, that was my water garden last year, before I built the pond, since the pond is at water lily capacity :)

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

Is there something in particular you are looking for? We're going to start re-habbing the torn up pond in my back yard next week, so now is the time to speak up since I have to move everything anyway.

I bought this house in February, and the gardens are an absolute mess, but none as bad as this pond. It's leaking, the pampas grass planted next to it has taken over half the pond (why don't folks read plant tags?) so I'm going to fill in that end, and make the pond larger on the other side. And, the poor, pathetic stream is just an absolute mess that will be torn down and moved.

At any rate, pond plants will be in worse shape while I'm working on this mess in holding ponds with no filtration, so let me know what I might be able to ship out to you.

The marsh marigold and the Iris are early bloomers, so you might want something that blooms a bit later (Thalia dealbata is a summer bloomer). Pickeral rush blooms early, but blooms all years, with deadheading. Lizard's Tail and Arrowhead are both nice summer blooming plants.........

I'm not sure what kind of plant you are looking for?

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like pickeral rush, I had one in my container last year.

I think most of the plants probably will need to be on the smaller side. How large does lizards tail get? I really like the flower on it.

This is my pond, it's still a work in progress, but it's improving :) I need to find the time to go and get more rocks to finish edging it.

The gravel area is the bog shelf and is always moist.
    {{gwi:197195}}

• Glitterati-GA7b
    10 years ago

Very pretty! The lizard's tail is one of my personal favorites - it's a charming plant. It doesn't bloom as long as pickeral rush, but even the foliage adds to the pond.

Lizard's tail is about half as tall as a mature pickeral, but a more "full" bushy plant. It doesn't grow vertical, it fills out.

I'd also suggest a Thalia dealbata in that corner where the stream/falls start to go vertical. It would help to connect the 2 "pieces" of your pond and not shade your lilies. Thalia might not be hardy for you though.

Another suggestion is Ogon. While it doesn't get a flower, but catkins, it's a lovely addition to any pond and the small variegated one adds some nice bog interest. If you crush the leaves while you're out at the pond, it's a natural mosquito deterrent, too! It's also a great filter plant potted in gravel and a basket with roots that do great pulling nitrates out of your water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ogon link that might be helpful

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been wanting some sweet flag, I wasn't sure how tall it gets though.

It looks like Thalia is hardy to zone 6. I could try it and see if I can overwinter it.

• chas045
    10 years ago

My sweet flag is usually about a foot tall and it becomes very solid. This is good when it is hiding a bare edge and bad when blocking view of an attractive item. It practically made my stream disappear as I have described in the recent post on the sweet flag (hosta) thread. Don't get me wrong, I am continuing to use it all over the place and you will probably see a whining post next year about all the trouble I will be having trying to remove clumps that I should have broken up this year. It just looks so good that I hate to mess with it.

However Cara, your pond is quite small and it might be overwhelmed. On the other hand, zone 5b could easily slow or stop the aggressive nature of sweet flag. It is resistant to some cold though. My pond sometimes freezes so that it can be stood on without damage to S. F.

FYI, I have read that SF is called sweet because of a pleasant smell given off when it is cut, dried and used as a loose floor covering in the middle east where it grows well. I tried it and it did smell ok.