Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdposey26

Pondless waterfall

cdposey26
14 years ago

I am in the process of planning/deciding for sre if I want to add a pondless waterfall to my backyard. I would do this as a diy project. Any helpful resources, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Any must avoids and must do's gladly welcomed. I appreciate your help, I know this is a very vague question so if I need to give more info please let me know. Thanks

Comments (13)

• hardin
    14 years ago

Here is a link to a small DIY project for a pondless waterfall. One thing that is nice about these, is you can go small or as large as you want. They all have the same basic principles. I shall also be building one, as soon as I can decide where I want it.

http://www.diylife.com/photos/build-your-own-patio-add-a-pond/

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks hardin, great pictures of step by step made simple.

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

Great photos! I like the step by step method you used to show the progress! Thank you so much! I want to build something like this soon and this gives me the motivation! What size pump did you use?

• hardin
    14 years ago

The size of the pumps needed vary according to various things, such as size of the reservior, water fall height, etc. Here is another link which gives you a formula to help you determine which size would suit your particular projects.

http://www.outdoorelementspa.com/pondless_waterfall_calculations.html

• junkinthetrunk
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1533}}

{{gwi:197398}}

• junkinthetrunk
    14 years ago

{{gwi:197400}}

{{gwi:197401}}

{{gwi:1530}}

• hardin
    14 years ago

junkinthetrunk, Awesome. When I seen the picture of the watering can, my imagination went bananas. Very cool. Thanks.

• watershaper
    14 years ago

In my experience the number one issue with DIY falls are not making a large enough basin. Not as much of an issue with fountain style, but you must remember that when the power goes off that water is going to drain to the basin without proper construction. Overflowing the basin can be an issue, especially if it is turned back on and the amount of fall or stream eats up all the basin water and your pump burns out.
    So a feature that has 50 gallons in the 'body' of the fall better have the capacity to handle that 50 gallons plus what is already in the basin. Or be able to keep most of that 50 in the 'body' when the pump is off. Other wise the water will run out before it returns to the basin.

• hardin
    14 years ago

I wonder if there is a way you can shape the rocks below using liner to hold the excess water if pump were to stop working? It would be neat to use the features of pondless and still have a small shallow pool area about a few inches deep for birds, butterflies and frogs to enjoy? Most of the pondless projects, the water doesn't pool at the bottom as it goes straight back down to pump area, which is the point but makes one wonder.

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

hardin,
    I went to a local pond place to see a pondless waterfall. It had a small indent in the stones where a small pool had formed, I would say no more than a quart. I returned to see the pond again after a week of rain, there was now about a gallon of water visible in the pea gravel rocks making up the bottom under the falls.

I had thought of this too because we have a lot of birds in the yard and I know they would love the water.

• loves2read
    14 years ago

very creative--a tableu/still life so to speak--

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Wouldn't argue with the above advice but I found the number one problem evaporation lol. Most pumps can't be run dry . Naturally the higher the feature and more volume the bigger the problem . In my case. everything is great until a high wind comes along lol. The depression in the rocks is a good idea no cleaning everyday like a birdbath and birds love moving water. Be careful when they are bathing they don't divert too much water!!! gary

• yatesd
    14 years ago

I am also contemplating a similar project and deciding whether to do this as a DIY or whether to pay a professional. I have a local company coming by to give me an estimate. Check out some of their work.

One of the few places that has a dedicated waterfall/stream gallery. Maybe it will give you some ideas...or in my case make me realize I may not want to take the project on myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gardens Edge