Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoroseal to seal my pond, many cracks after draining?

Posted by g20zoom CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 1:29

Hi, my contractor is drying to restore our 100 gallon concrete block fountain/pond and is failing.

First, he sealed it with thoroseal only(no acryl60). It dried...and I noticed many spider cracks on the vertical surfaces only. The cracks were hairline

second, he recoated thoroseal only...this time wetting the surface first. it dried, no more cracks!

4-5 days later, I filled with water upon finding no cracks...seemed to hold fine, but i drained it 4-5 later to clean it out.

upon draining it, I noticed tons of hairline cracks again.

any ideas?? Is it because they are not using Acryl 60? or are they mixing the stuff wrong. maybe not letting the thoroseal stiffen up 30 minutes before applying?
I'm confused...I'm sure the workers are not reading the instructions...

thanks
dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoroseal to seal my pond, many cracks after draining?

There are many ways this type of thing can be messed up, many. The Acryl 60 isn't strictly required, but does provide some insurance should other things not be right. For example, if the coating wasn't kept damp the risk of shrinkage cracks increases when Acryl 60 isn't used. Doesn't mean it will crack, just that risk increases. Being in the sun would increase risk more. Low humidity increases risk. So the manufacturer says to use Acryl 60 because they know many people will cut corners.

From your description sounds like you have shrinkage cracks, but I'm not there so don't know.

Down the road the Acryl 60 could also keep the coating stuck to the concrete. Without it the risk of delaminating increases. Thorseal by itself can certainly bond to concrete and stay bonded for many years if a lot of steps aren't skipped like very good cleaning, damp concrete, right temp, not too much or too little water added to the mix, it's applied in a timely manner, it was given some time to sit after mixing, not using clean water, etc., etc., etc. Acryl 60 helps a little to reduce risk of sloppy work.

You don't say you have a leak, so, not sure if you're looking for problems. The bottom line imo with contractors is they're paid to get a result. How they get the result is up to them. Defining what the result should be and how it's measured is up to the person writing the check.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here