Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_carlos

Normal behavior for fish?

Lori_Carlos
12 years ago

Hello again everyone. As I mentioned in my previous post, imam really new at owning a pond. Our Pond has been in place for probably about 10-12 years but we just purchased the house in November. To make a long story short, the previous owner 'closed up' the pond for the winter assuring us that we didn't have to do anything so we didn't until spring when we had to scoop out 10 dead koi fish. We emptied the pond, refilled it and treated it with a water conditioner. We waited a few days, added 10 feeder goldfish and then a couple water hyacinth. We also ended up using filter floss because the water was a bit brown even though all the levels tested fine. It's now pretty clear so today we bought 3 small koi fish and added them as well. After adding them we noticed that 2 of the goldfish were dead so we removed them. My question is, all of the fish seem really scared and just 'hang out' at the bottom of the pond in a little group. Is this normal or does it sound like something is wrong with them? I originally thought that maybe they were just nervous but it's been about a week. Any ideas?

Comments (3)