Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ed512

Newbie with questions

Ed512
12 years ago

Hello all, I own a small landscaping company and have built several ponds for other people, I finally built one for myself. It is approximately 10'x12'x2.5' deep. I used a pond liner instead of a pre-fab plastic tub. I have a Savio Skimmer, 1/2 hp pump, waterfall, and pond light.

{{gwi:197502}}

{{gwi:197503}}

In the deepest part I placed a large flat shelf rock to have a hiding place for my fish. It worked too well, after day two, I lost sight of the 4 small Koi. Now, three days later, I introduced 4 large goldfish I rescued from a friends abandoned pond. 10 seconds after they were swimming around, out popped the 4 Koi. My kids were ecstatic as we thought a Heron got them.

Here are my questions:

- Why did my Koi disappear for a while? Will the bigger goldfish eat the Koi? I think the waterfall is aerating the pond pretty good, do I need more oxygen or filtration?

- I have one water Hawthorne plant. What are your suggestions for more water plants?

- The kids want a turtle. Won't it just wander off? I like the natural look of all the rocks, but they won't keep the turtle in! My dogs won't stay in my yard, how can I expect a turtle to stay ? LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (4)