Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
liner fold and pond plant roots

Posted by zeeicemachine none (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 3:23

so I just finished making my pond and time to add plants but due to the unusual shape of my pond I have some good folds in my shallow water area.

the pond is small, about 200 gallons and I was wondering what plants I should stay clear of so my liner does not get pierced by their roots?

I know to stay away form cattails, yellow flag iris and bull rush in general but are the folds especially sensitive to possible root piercing?

I say this because I plan on planting and not doing pots.

any help is appreciated, ty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: liner fold and pond plant roots

Plants roots can't pierce even PVC liners so I wouldn't let that limit your choice. It's a myth.

Many people believe it's true because there have been a few, very few, pictures of roots growing thru pond liners. The actual cause is there already was a hole in the liner, which water leaked thru into the surrounding soil. I've seen pictures of pond plants growing thru the hole and also terrestrial plant roots growing into the pond. It's kind of like when a tap root in plastic pot grows thru a hole in the bottom and gets big enough to stretch the hole. It sure looks like the root punched a hole in the pot. But because it's a pot you know what happen.

Roots grow at the tip like a wedge to get thru soil. The wedge has to make an opening in the soil for the root tip to grow into. The tip itself can't even push thru soil. The tip is very soft and delicate even on a bamboo.

Also in the past few years some researchers found some interesting things about how roots grow. How they find water and nutrients and how roots know to spread out. In was documented in the show "What Plants Talk About". It explains why roots turn when the hit a liner or side of a pot.

As an experiment to test the myth I once planted Giant Reed, Arundo donax,in a small (like 2'x2'x2') "pond" made of EDPM. Now Giant Reed I think makes bamboo (which I have grown) look like Pussy Willow when it comes to fast growth and the nastiest looking roots I've seen. The roots did not grow thru the liner. After a year or so it did become root bound and did push out the liner, like a root bound plant in a plastic pot. But the EDPM had no trouble stretching and handling being pushed very hard against the surrounding soil. That was as an extreme test as could imagine to disprove the myth.

o

ah well that is good to hear but it is a common statement around the internet. ty for the info.

o

It sure is common. Even many pond "professionals" believe it's true. Normally it's just bamboo that gets the bad wrap, but sometimes trees too.

Thankfully it isn't true because otherwise pretty much every pond would be in trouble. I once Googled around looking for pictures of roots thru liners...very hard to find very many. I think I could only find one. It was a Lily I think. The really interesting thing is when it happens the root actually stops the leak by plugging the hole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here