Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckool

pond leak repair

mckool
11 years ago

My pre-formed pond, about 75gallons has a leak at one of the plant shelves, what is best way to repair the pre-formed material, believe it's a type of poly plastic?

Pond is in ground and cannot be easily removed. Also i believe there may be a void space under the ply at the location of the leak

Size of the crack n the poly is about one inch in length.

Thanx

Comments (21)

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Depends on the material. Fiberglass could be repaired, but doesn't sound like you have that. Acrylic could be repaired, but I've never seen an acrylic pond.

For vacuum formed plastic there isn't a lot of options. And the thin nature of these also limits options. IMO they cannot be repaired.

However, given there a void under the crack you could stick the straw of a can of expanding polyurethane foam into the crack and fill the void behind the liner. That might slow the leak or even stop it for some period of time. Wait at least 24 hours before adding water back.

Most preformed ponds aren't meant to last a long time. They're meant to look good in the store, look easy to install, and be cheap.

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Waterguy, Thanks. It's a form of hdpe so there is a special commerical welding that can be done - not worth the cost, to say the least. Thought someone may have discovered an alterante remedy.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

And it's so thin...I'd sure make a mess of it welding.

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ThFrugqlgardener, Thanks: I've used hot glue numerous times in making floating islands, etc. But daaaaaa, didn't think about it for this repair - good to have some pond "keepers"

I also have some "Mr Sticky" from Doctors Foster and Smith(epoxy compound)

• lizzygracepond
    11 years ago

Hi I have same problem, but my pond is not "thin", it is a solid preformed thing:-)

mckool: have you used "mr stickey"?? I am willing to give it a try on my hole. And hot glue. What do you mean? The type you make crafts with? Gulegun? I wonder if a rubber patch would work, like a tire patch? My leat is about 5 inches down, so it isn't a bad spot to touch up or repair every year or two.

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

I had this problem and used silicon and liner material to make a patch. It held for many years. I sanded the plastic pond form and the patch to make the glue have something to grab on to.

• diggery
    11 years ago

QUOTE: I've used hot glue numerous times in making floating islands, etc. But daaaaaa, didn't think about it for this repair - good to have some pond "keepers"

Why is it, do you think, we tend to make things more complicated than they are? (preachin to self here;) Never considered hot glue but would definitely give it a go. I've used silicone alone with long lasting results (years). Please do share your results, whatever you use.

blessings,
    ~digger

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

There's a guy selling a perform here on CL now with a JB Weld patch and he says it holds water. That's kind of the bottom line, there's no way imo to fix one of these, but lots of ways to patch. Patches can out last the rest of the pond, or they could fail tomorrow. They could also slow the leak to an acceptable level.

• diggery
    11 years ago

JB Weld? Huh! Definitely a miracle fix for many things but never woulda crossed my mind for this application. Gotta go dig in my toolbox & read the tube now (inquiring minds gotta know).

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey team - Thanks for the suggestions. Just logged in, didn't use Mr Sticky,yet. I had filled the crack and some of the hollow space under the area with liquid nails - that's what I had on-hand a few months back, so I used hot glue ofer the entire area, presuming that there may have been a slight crack in the original patch. Results: not sure. I'm getting a bit more water loss than I expect from evaporation, but it doesn't seem like a "true" leak.

Now more concerned with the larger pond, seems more water loss than expected from the splashing of the water fall (only about 18" high) - think I may be getting some weeping as opposed to a true leak.

DW decided we needed to extend the patio a bit for a new Gazebo - want to guess where my attention is at the moment. Thought I was doing well since it was only to be an expansion, but with 2" variation, decided to reset the pavers than try to use spacers under the gazebo poles. Oh well. Lesson learned (maybe) Measure and check it twice, then set the pavers - amein!!

• diggery
    11 years ago

QUOTE mckool: DW decided we needed to extend the patio a bit for a new Gazebo - want to guess where my attention is at the moment.

Haha...don't have to guess. Your attention is right where it belongs...on the dw *grin*. Keep us posted on your repair job. Always good to learn something new. (dh says I'm a repository for useless facts but sometimes that stuff comes in handy!)

blessings,
    ~digger

• lizzygracepond
    11 years ago

Update: I just used JB Weld ! It really seemed to create a good patch/bond with the plastic. I cleaned the surface then used sandpaper to rough it up. I let it set overnight. So far so good, no leaks and really seems solid. Just started my pump and put a few trial gold fish back in. I will let ya know if it leaks ever:-)

• diggery
    11 years ago

Well live & learn..whodathunk!
    (not me obviously)
    Good to know, filing for later.
    Thanks for sharing an update lizzy.

blessings,

~digger

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know - like the tool that may get used once, but is worth it when needed, Amein?

• sue_ct
    11 years ago

Not a member here, but happened to see this and have some experience so I thought I would share my experience. I had a 100 gallon preformed that I put in about 10 years ago, and managed to crack before I got it into the ground. I used a Beckett repair kit from Home Depot, figuring I had nothing to loose. It lasted over 5 years, and when I replaced the preformed with a flexible liner when I enlarged the pond a little bit, I gave the preformed away to be used by someone else with the repair still intact. The kits cost less than 20.00, so if your repair doesn't work long term for some reason, you might consider a kit. It was very easy to use.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

I didn't know Beckett had a repair kit. To me that would be a proper repair and not a patch because they can match the repair to the plastic which is key. It would only work with that specific plastic if it was indeed a weld type fix.

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't know that either - Thanks

• sue_ct
    11 years ago

I found an online source, where it is less than 15.00. I don't know this source, have never used them and so can't comment on them, but it looks like what I used, so thought it might be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beckett repair kit

• topsiebeezelbub
    10 years ago

I know this is an old thread but couldn't help but wondering if all this gluey stuff is toxic to fish. No mention of that in the thread. I would be afraid to use anything that is not specifically for fish ponds...just thinkin'.

• Ellen Miriam Pedersen
    7 years ago

The thread got even older. What did all you guys do with the resident frogs while checking where the leaks actually were, and working to mend them? I think I may have to replace the sheet altogether. It is rubber.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner