Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suefromuk

rescue needed of a 45,000 gal man-made pond

suefromuk
11 years ago

9 years ago I had a graded hole 70 feet long 30 feet wide at it's widest...7 feet wide at the ends...3 feet deep in the middle 6" at the sides dug.

I covered crush and run and sand and blankets with 4.5ml rubber.Put plants in, fish in...frogs and dragon flies arrived in droves. The pond has no stream feed...it's water comes from rain and a little top up from time to time from my well

I was in a fool's paradise...a biologist told me I had nice bio-diversity but that was then...because I made no effort to pull out fallen leaves because I did not install a filter...it has caught up with me and is now full of algae.

I am wading into and removing so help me God all the debris, leaves, branches that I have allowed to collect over the years. The goldfish have disappeared...not enough oxygen...the frogs still thrive.

A friend is building me a sand filter....I have used a small amount of copper sulfate on one side of the pond to try to get rid of the pea soup look.....Is there any tool out there that will help one scrape up all the stuff in the bottom and floating....without tearing the rubber liner...

I never had a clear bottom...and did not aspire to one...the pond looks totally natural people think it's spring fed.,. but it would seem I have to filter and do more "ponder" type things...and then I could have fish again...also if I don't start pulling out stuff now...one day I'll just have a large bog full of twigs.

Where can one buy a big net to put over pond in the fall...?

Please help.Thank-you!

Comments (2)