Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_and_joann

Pond Tips for all --,newbee's & seasoned ponders alike.

cliff_and_joann
12 years ago

Ya know, you can always learn something new, even if

you're a seasoned ponder.

I thought it would be good, as well as fun, to have a

discussion on pond tips, maintenance and plants.

We put in our pond in 1997, and are still learning

and striving to make the pond maintenance easier.

Please add all your maintenance ideas, improvements, and clever ideas,

for ponds, and gardening tips...photos

would be helpful as well.

I'll go first, we have a bottom drain and gravity fed system.

The problem with a bottom drain is they can get

clogged with plants, leaves and stones that the koi

deposit on the pond floor from digging in the pots.

In order to unclog the drain we used to put the shop

vac down the pipe and blow all the stuff out.

This is the way my head groundskeeper (Cliff) solved

this problem and it works fabulously.

Get a long strong nylon cord, tie (very tightly) a rag to the end of the cord,

then tie another cord to the other end of the rag... Pull

the cord through the drain, then tug on the cord

from the filter side and then tug from the pond side, the rag will pull out all the stones and leaves etc...

the cord (that comes out from the bottom drain is tied to our dock in the back and the other end of the cord

is lying along side filter tub.

the cord remains in the pipes all the time and the tied rag is along side the filter tub.

He also has a knot in the cord, when he sees the knot he stops tugging on the cord so that the rag on the other end

stays just outside the bottom drain.

Note, in order to be able to do this the dome on the bottom

drain has to be removed. We have a 45* and a 90* angle on

our bottom drain plumbing.

He does this a couple/few times a week, as it's easy to do, just pick up the cord and give it a few tugs...actually

this time of the year he gives it a few tugs every day,

because of all the droppings from the oak trees.

I hope this is clear, if not I'll do a drawing.

Note: make sure the rag is strong and tied very securely

to the nylon cord...

Comments (9)

• nkm56
    12 years ago

Actually, your method sounds like it might be a viable method of cleaning my retro fit BD (through the side) as well. I've often wondered how I would clean the piping should leaves and algae and other crud get stuck halfway through it. How did you initially manage to thread the cord through the piping? Did you use a wire or something?

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First he used a light cord and the flow of the water
    in the drain pulled it through, then he tied the heavy cord to the light cord and pulled the heavy cord and rag through.

The heavy cord and rag stays in place all the time, 24/7 -- 365 thus,
    it's always ready for a tug to loosen anything that accumulates in the drain.
    In the past, when the pumps slowed up, he always thought
    it was because the filters needed cleaning, when in fact it was gunk in the drain.
    Think of it as 'pond floss' :)
    So far, it's the single best maintenance trick, to date, that he ever cliff-rigged. :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Great tip. Love how the minds of some people work.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just have one correction, we have a 90* angle
    and two 45* angles...pic below

{{gwi:184486}}

Anybody else have any pond tips?. We have several,
    but would like to hear about others.
    come on, this is easy. :-)

• goodkarma_
    12 years ago

I love your BD cleaning tips Joan. It won't work for me because of the dome but it is a great tip for those who can remove the dome or don't have a dome.

One of the best tips I have is to know your source water. If you use city water look up the city water reports. My city tests the water yearly and I found out the water is high in phosphates. High in phosphates means high algae so this report was valuable and I cut down the frequency of water changes.

Next- Do not underestimate the importance of veggie filtration. You can add watercress, WC, and many other plants in your pond, in floating planters, and in your filters or filter ponds that will help keep your pond crystal clear.

Have tree whirlybirds but no skimmer? Use a garden hose to move them to one section of the pond and then use a leaf skimmer remove them.

No bottom drain, no pond vacuum and a mucky pond bottom? Take a debris handling pump, hang it by a rope and go over the bottom of the pond with it. Stir the bottom up a little with a net to get the debris moving a little as you pump the muckiness out.

Need pond shade and want pond plants without using shelves or plants that sit on the bottom of the pond? Look up floating planters. Easiest floating planter in the world is to take a piece of styrofoam from Home Depot or Lowes- paint it black, cut holes to fit your annual pots and place pots inside the hole. Viola! Cheap floating planter.

Can't make a waterfall to save your life? Take the discharge pipe from your pump- put a 90 degree elbow on it place on edge of pond over a spill rock. Plant a creeping juniper or plant, vine or tree that hangs over the pipe and hides the discharge pipe. Very natural looking without the fuss.

These are some of my tips from years of ponding. Right now my set up includes skimmer with UV light, bottom drain, settling pond, and large veggie filter. Maintenance is very easy but even without the bells and whistles you can still keep a clear pond.

Most important- build it as big as you can. When you can use it as a swimming pool you have met your goal. lol

Lisa

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

My biggest tip is that ponds will and should have some algae. Stop trying to keep it drinking water clean and clear and your fish will thank you.

Second biggest tip is to have goldfish instead of koi in most ponds. Koi require more water, more depth and more filtration and many are stunted and unhealthy out there in ponds that are much too small. Goldfish can be just as colorful and friendly, cost less to buy and maintain and reduce water quality stresses.

• hardin
    12 years ago

My tips are as follows:
    1) Read everything before you begin to build. Even then, you won't get everything just right. And for the best research, visit this sight for ideas, inspiration and answers.

2) Test the water regularly and at the same time of day. That way you should not have any major surprises. Keep a log of test results, any treatments added, and water changes.

3) Plants, plants and more plants. I have mechanical and biological filteration but nothing beats plants. They help keep the water parameters where you want them, and they look beautiful. It's a win-win.

I am pond-side everyday. I am always tweaking, moving, and planning. I am currently in the middle of a waterfall rebuild. If anyone says they want a pond, I tell them, 'You will love it."

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We keep a long rope permanently tied under the pond viewing
    dock, so that when the head guy goes into the pond for
    various reasons, one being to re-arrange rocks -- he holds
    on to the rope to enter the pond and exit the pond, and
    walk around the pond as well.

The rope is long enough to cover the entire pond, and he holds it tightly to walk
    around the 'slippery' pond.
    No more slipping and sliding and -- and 'going under!"

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Where I live, it is important to build a pond with pests in mind, namely Heron/raccoons/mink, so I built my pond with straight sides and also 3.5ft deep, which is also recomended as a minimum depth to overwinter fish. I have a set up in the middle of the pond(milkcrates/cement blocks/zapstrapped) for plants, the critters can't get onto it. Plus I built a pergola over the pond, which is also a deterant for heron to come and swoop in. Even as I built my pond(10x6), I wanted to go BIGGER!!! Bigger really is better, as the water temp fluctuations are less, so I believe it helps with algae bloom. I am only on my 2nd year as a real pond(had tubs before)owner, but have found these desicions invaluable for a happy ponder!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022