Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_carlos

Our pump went on the fritz

Lori_Carlos
12 years ago

I have a quick question for you all.... Our pump went on the fritz this morning. My husband tried getting it going but it's definately gone. We're not in the position to get a new one for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can manage to keep our pond semi clear for the next two weeks? We currently have 3 shubunkins, 3 commets, 2 small koi and 3 feeder goldfish. There are 4 floating plants, 3 "sinking" plants and the pond is 940 gallons. Probably a dumb question but we're grasping at straws here. Thanks everyone!

Comments (12)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Lori Carlos,
    Lets talk a little about the pump. It may be able to be repaired easily. What brand and model is the pump? When you plug it in what does it do?
    Mike

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a magnetic drive submersible pump. We don't know the model or make because the label is worn out. It hums and turns the propeller for a couple seconds then just completely stops, even the humming stops. :(

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Lori Carlos,
    Without knowing the make and model it is probably not possible to repair it. Most likely the impeller is bad and needs to be replaced.
    Mike

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found our pump online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pump

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Lori Calos,
    The first thing is remove the four screws that hold the volute in place. Remove the volute and then pull the impeller out. Put a finger in the hole where the impeller was. Feel the walls of the hole for any bulges in the wall or scrapes. If there is nothing then replacing the impeller will probably fix the pump. When you go to get a new impeller take the pump body and the impeller and compare to a new one. The reason I suggest this is because there are a couple of models that like very similar and you want to make sure you get the right one.
    Mike

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike! Would we be able to buy it in an aquarium store?

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Lori,
    Let you fingers do the walking. Depending your age you may not know what that means. In other words call first and see if they carry them. You might have to go to a pond store or a store that carry pond supplies.
    Mike

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well. My husband took the pump apart and told me to mention that the pump body gets real hot. And that there is a bouldge on the front of it near the pump cover. And a crack around the magnet. I guess this is bad news for us right?? Also he check the walls and said that they feel bumpy. He got it to turn but only works for a few min and then dies and again the body is really hot even when in water. Any suggestions??? Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pump. Fund the box in the shed !! Made in 06/07

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol Mike!!! I know what that means :)
    (btw, I'm 40ish)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Lori,
    I am sorry but I would say the pump is not repairable. Inside the body the electric magnet is starting to melt down and is shorting out. The pump now is drawing far more power which is causing it to over heat. The bumps that he is feeling on the inside is minerals that have been baked out of the water.
    The problem is I remember when the yellow pages came out with that ad. But I am lucky that I am still young enough that I can still remember that it was an ad for the yellow pages.(lol)
    Mike

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, we gave up on the pump but we're not able to get another one until Wednesday. Hopefully the fish will be ok for 2 days and we won't have to do much in the way of algae clean up.

Would you believe we still have a yellow pages kicking around here? Lol

• Lori_Carlos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YAY!!! we just bought a new pump! It's an 850 gph sunterra submersible pump. No idea how good it will be but definately better than what we had. It's for sure stronger and it has a built in filter so we'll just see how it goes.
    Another good thing is our fish seem to be doing good. The are swimming all over the place. The shubunkins and comets come up for food soothe koi and goldfish seem to follow them. Kind of like they're the leaders. I am a bit worried about the temperature out there today. It is absolutely FREEZING! It's only 8 degrees (46 F) and I'm sure as the night goes on it'll only get colder. Poor little fishies :(

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting