Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

Ughh!!!! Weeding For Toads...

goodkarma_
12 years ago

I loathe weeding. Seriously my hands are so beat up right now with splinters, thorns, and even bleeding a little. If not for those darn toadies I would be grabbing the Roundup from the shed.

My main enemies this year are globeflower,cincerfoil (sp?), creeping jenny and some type of stonecrop that has yellow flowers. I let the garden get wild last year and all was fine until this year when they starting choking out my other plants.

Just when I justified the use of Roundup thinking the toads don't come to this section of the garden, a big toad was seen moving to cover. Arghh!!!!

Oh well....back outside to tackle the back section of the garden. Does anyone else forgo the use of chemicals in the garden because of the pond?

Comments (14)

• erniem
    12 years ago

Your toads thank you kindly, and so do I.

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

That is the most fascinating heading for a post I've seen in a long time!!

Yes, I forego all noxious chemicals because of the pond, the birds the insects, etc.

Some things I allow: like bacillus thurbigius sp?and corn gluten and a home-made concoction against aphids of dishwashing liquid, water and garlic, but that is about it.

I spent last weekend cutting and pulling out wild raspberry bushes. They are horrid around here. There is also some kind of wild rose with thorns that curve back and may even have some kind of hidden barbs on them. They are hideous to get rid of.

Anne

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks erniem and Pashta for understanding and replying to my post. I live in a suburb of Akron Ohio and it is so tough for wildlife to survive. I just can't in good conscience use chemicals when I know the critters have such a hard time surviving. We live in a "fringe" area. A place where wildlife comes from surrounding park areas and tries to survive in an area populated by humans. I know my neighbors think I am nuts to care about toads, dragonflys, possums, and raccoons but I sleep better at night knowing that at the very least I tried.

• koijoyii
    12 years ago

My neighbors tend to get upset with me because I don't use chemicals in my yard and the dandilions(sp?) just seem to multiply like crazy in both my front and back yards. I try to pinch the blooms off before they go to seed but with all the rain we have had they seem to bloom and go to seed overnight.

Since I can't grow grass in the front yard I planted microclover this spring. You never have to fertilize it or use weed killer. I have a wonderful looking lawn and bunnies to boot. One night we had bunnies chasing each other all over the place. I expected to see a greyhound in pursuit. lol

I am so upset with the Governor of Ohio. He is signing legislation that will allow drilling for oil and gas in Ohio's natural parks. Ohio is known for it's Emerald Necklace which are our Metroparks. With all the development (malls, condos, businesses, etc) they are tearing down the trees, the Metroparks is the only safe Haven left for Ohio's wildlife. Must be the Native American in me I have been so down in the dumps ever since I heard it on the radio this morning.

There is a stretch of I-90 where they cleared acres of trees to build Phase II of a mall where most of the stores are already vacant. I had to find an alternate route to travel because I want to cry when I see bare land where wildlife used to thrive.

Jenny

• catherinet
    12 years ago

YAY! I'm glad you feel that way GoodKarma! I know its ALOT more work......but its worth it!

(Akron.....I spent my first year in college many years ago at Mt. Union in Alliance).

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Jenny,

We have the only yard in the neighborhood that isn't overrun with dandelions right now. That's what we use the corn gluten (basically corn meal) for. It prevents weed seeds from germinating in the spring.

It isn't cheap, just about as expensive as the commercial weed killers, but it is safe for wildlife.
    Anne

• hardin
    12 years ago

I am the same way in that I do not use any chemicals in the yard. I haven't since I put the pond in 3 springs ago. Not only have I noticed an increase in frogs and toads, I have also seen more ladybugs, praying mantis, and all sorts of creatures. I even spotted a new resident in the pond, a small turtle, about the size of a golf ball. I can't say that I want him in there, but he is hiding from me. The weeds in my yard are pretty bad, but I don't care. I am also in the process of building flower beds around the perimeter of the backyard, so that all the creatures have more hiding places and can escape to the creek and field behind my house if they want without being exposed to predators. I say we all give ourselves a pat on the back because our "yard pets" thank us.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

jenny- same thing happening here in n. ca. - trees being taken down everywhere, but people like you and me can fight back and just recently a 300 y.o. oak has been saved by determined neighborhood people. we just have to keep being vigilant and make ourselves heard in defense of trees because our wildlife needs them as much as we do. i am glad to hear that you care about your metroparks and i hope you are doing all you can to save them from drilling. go on the warpath- let your governor know how you feel, send letters to anyone who can help and join in any protests. good luck!
    min

• lisa11310
    12 years ago

I'm a recognized Native Wildlife Habitat property. Hubby thinks it's stupid since we are in the Manistee National Forrest.I provide not only nest boxes for cavity nesting birds but maintain my pond to support wildlife, plenty of hiding spots for frogs and toads. NO POISONS! Koyjoy I am Cherokee. Seems we have to do what we do to nurture Mother Earth!AHO!

• catherinet
    12 years ago

lisa......sounds like wonderful place to be! I would love to live up against a National Forest. We have 33 acres and love thinking that we're giving the wild things a safe place. But we never know what the neighbors are going to do. :(

• wispfox
    12 years ago

I hear that vinegar helps with weeds which you can't... _quite_ get the roots out. This is good, since I apparently have bishop's weed. Also creeping jenny, but it appears to be well contained.

And, for reasons I don't understand, lots of mint (makes me wonder if the previous owners actually planted it, or if it's all volunteers).

Of course, still learning what _is_ a weed and what is not. Which is fascinating. Yay, established yard!

And yes, I'm sure your toads (and everything else) thank you!

• catherinet
    12 years ago

As they say.....a weed is anything you don't want in a certain spot!
    I have discovered that "weeds" are extremely important in the life cycles of alot of organisms. I don't hate them as much now. :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Warning: don't put that stonecrop in the compost bin. It will grow like crazy!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I don't use chemicals either. DH uses a small torch on the dandelions in the lawn. Fries them to a crisp and he thinks it is soooo fun.

I wear gloves when I garden, flexible rubber ones from Ultimate Glove. I have great hand movement in them but my hands aren't torn up.