Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Pond Started Finally!

jalal
12 years ago

Up here in Canada eh? pond season starts a lot later! I spent yesterday cleaning the rocks along the edge, trimming the plants, draining the pond down so I could put in the pumps and retro drains. By the time the pond was refilled it was 9PM and dark. So today I get to start the pumps up.

One thing I hate about startup is cleaning along the edges of the pond. I have a shelf around the pond that holds rocks to hide the liner. Plants go in various places. Every year I have to clean out leaves, dead algae and various fish whatever excrement that gets in there. Design error. If I build a pond again I'll make sure I have a coping shelf for the rocks to be at water surface instead of submerged. These old bones felt the pain of bending over last night. But at least it's done! Fish will go back out next week--I move the fish and their water (300gals) at the same time.

The water yesterday in the pond was surprisingly warm could actually get in the pond with the insulated hipwaders (that leak) and do some netting out of algae and crud off the bottom. As there are no fish in the pond stirring it up is not a problem. Not so much today as tap water added was cold. So today I get to start up the pumps and see if I remembered to put a gasket on the pump baskets and how the pump that got submerged last spring works. I took it to a local pump place to repair. They had to repack the bearings and replace the seal. Cost me $165! There are times when having a small motor degree could be helpful.

Lovely to see all the ponds running here. Have a great day. Patti

Comments (6)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Patti,

Boy, you are way ahead of me. I haven't done anything to get mine up and running yet. The fish died so I don't feel any rush to do it.

I guess I'd better get my old bones out there working on the pond this weekend.

Anne

• jalal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never been able to overwinter fish in my pond. Its only 4'deep in the deep end and our winters here last from Oct to May. The snow went the last week of April and we've had nice weather since then but it usually snows here the May long weekend. I started the pumps up and didn't have the gasket on the priming pot on the one pump and hadn't closed the priming pot drain all the way so had to redo that pump. I could get away with just one pump but I like more flow on the waterfall but the discharge valve is throttled back at least 40% on both pumps. Maybe I'll change it out next year but for now it seems to work fine and my electricity bill isn't any higher than winter. My waterlilies all survived and are leafing out nicely. The tuber on some of them is sticking up out of the dirt but is sending up new growth so I just left it. I usually buy parrots feather at the end of May--havn't had much luck with hyacinth our last few springs have been all over the board for temperatures. So I'm going to add some koi clay and let it do it's thing. Hope you get yours going. All that bending over is hard on the joints!

• squirelette
    12 years ago

Been wondering what you were up to! My pond is in dire need of spring cleaning. Get holidays next week so will have to attack it. Lost a few things but the lilies are up and leafy, the parrot feather survived, the water mint needs to be pruned hard- would get rid of it but the DH likes it, if you want some let me know. Same for dwarf cat tail so nice to have spring back finally

• goodkarma_
    12 years ago

Glad to hear your pond up and running and almost ready for the fish. Ponding is such great exercise isn't it? Always reminds us how out of shape we have gotten over the winter. lol Post pics when you can.

Lisa

• jalal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi squirlette. This winter was brutal so much snow and I don't do much with pond in winter--it's shut down. Lost one of my koi, the fantail (it was 7 yrs old) and a shubunkin (also 7 yrs old) in my indoor tank this year old age and an ammonia spike on the koi. Been working my butt off-work in a group home with troubled youth. It's pretty intense and I'm getting really tired of taking care of people. Wish I had the $$$to retire. May put fish out tomorrow depending on water temp and wind. It's been crazy windy here the last 4 or 5 days. How to you get your parrot feather to overwinter? Mine just dies even when dropped to the deep end.
    Lisa I definately felt the pain this year! Even my hip joints hurt! I am 58 though but that's no excuse. I love spring here though. Everything is growing so fast! It's such a change from the 4 ft of snow we had! Will post pics this week. Thanks for remembering me! Patti

• squirelette
    12 years ago

I know the feeling, still working 2 jobs- 7 days a week plus a half on Tues. Plus taking care of the DH. At least he is up and around now, takes care of the housework I still have to do the yard and upkeep but it is one less thing. Got the week off next week, so looking forward to a holiday. Of course the yard needs spring cleanup and get the pond slopped out. Installed a new garage door in the fall and got to install the opener now. Plus maybe finally finish the basement bathroom. I don't do anything with any of the plants I think the tank heater keeps the pond just warm enough to keep the less hardy stuff going. Got to get rid of some of the fry again this year. My discs are really bad this year so it takes forever to get anything done back keeps locking up thank goodness for painkillers. Keep in touch

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus