Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water garden plants and fish and other critters

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 12:30

I'm starting to (preemptively, I still need to finish the waterfall before I refill and start planting!) look around at various plants and pond plant sites. I noticed most also sell fish, snails, and tadpoles.

Once my pond is up and running, I'm trying to figure out what to plant. The deepest part of the pond is probably 2-2 1/2 feet, and then I have a shelf that's about a foot deep for marginals. I was thinking of pickeral weed, dwarf cattail (these are all going to be in containers), some floaters like water hyacinth, a water lily or two...

How much space/surface area do water lilies need? Should I get some underwater plants like anacharis?

And then for critters-- Should I get the trapdoor snails? Are frogs beneficial? Fish-- I was originally thinking of goldfish, but it sounds like they're somewhat destructive to plants? Are there better fish I should think of?

Here's a photo from last fall. I intend to have the water level go into the gravel bog area so it's saturated. The upper pool and waterfall I'm starting to work on hopefully this weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water garden plants and fish and other critters

I'm in zone 7b and I suppose things grow faster here. If you were here, you wouldn't really have room for more than one (if that) lily, and one water hyacinth would turn into many and overwhelm a pond in a short time. Perhaps zone 5 would slow them down dramatically.

Gold fish don't bother plants at all. Frogs will probably show up on their own eventually. I suspect that you will pick up some snails from plants you get at a pond store.

o
RE: Water garden plants and fish and other critters

Why not try a hardy pygmy helvola as a smaller growing water lily. They only spread 2-3 feet and their yellow blooms are 1 1/2 inches. Other varieties will just be overwhelming and won't allow for other plants. Don't forget using some oxygenators if you are planning on fish. I would stick to small goldfish in your pond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here