Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniez3

Land plants that will grow in pond

bonniez3
12 years ago

This subject was on the forum a few years ago, and I can't find it. So, can we start a list of land plants that will grow well in water??

Comments (12)

• dustyfeet
    12 years ago

I have grown the following:
    swampy wet soil:
    Siberian iris
    impatiens
    creeping jenny
    marsh marigold
    swamp hibiscus
    daylilies
    all kinds of rushes
    astilbes
    hostas
    calla lilies
    blueberries
    sometimes crocosmia :)
    mint

• catherinet
    12 years ago

lobelia

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

beware of chocolate mint! it will fill up your pond!
    wish i had never bought that 6 pack.
    min

• diggery
    12 years ago

Great post...ya never know what treasure might have
    been discovered since the last discussion. Been experimenting a bit..

sweet potato vine

plopped a few pieces from a trim job elsewhere into my skippy last year & *voila* FINALLY no more skippy visible (watercress & hyacinth don't care for my pond) the chartruese & bronze combo was striking

black EE

nestled a broken stem in gravel in an elevated pot in my lil settling pond and was pleasantly surprised

pothos

took off overnight, what a monster! whodathunk?

spiderwort

highly invasive in my neck o' the woods & still losing the battle after many yrs of trying to eradicate it from MY LAWN, grr! (inherited from previous owner). saw a gorgeous stand of it in someone's bog here & couldn't resist... stuck a few, bare-root in some gravel. lovely - if ya can't beat em, join em. that led to...

tradescantia/purple heart

thriving in dry soil next to my pond. plopped a broken sprig into the pond...then thought to add a sprig of wandering jew/zebrina. another striking combo.

How I wish impatiens would work for me. They live but do not thrive in my pond. Although they bloom, they're the same size end of season as they were when I put them in. Same with hostas =[

Hopin' for some more ideas here, ponders!

bless ya's

~digger

• ponderpaul
    12 years ago

Work part-time at our local nursery ---
    reading this and wishing my stream was longer!!

• catherinet
    12 years ago

Min3......."wish I'd never bought that 6 pack". How true!
    The man who lived on this property before we bought it planted several invasive bushes. (he bought them from the DNR). Now they cover our 33 acres. Bummer!!

I've also made the mistake with a couple yard plants and it will probably take my lifetime to get rid of them.

• bonniez3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So many plants! I can hardly wait to get to the nursery to pick up more plants!

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

I put ajuna in a foam kneeling pad (poke holes in the pad, stick the plant roots into the holes) and float it. It looks lovely all summer, covering the foam and sending out babies that float on the water. It often lives through the winter if I put it on the ground in the fall.

Lysimacha (a relative of creeping jenny) is lovely but can also become invasive, just look at my front lawn!!!! It does love wet feet so a bog or pond is great.

• HU-321583435
    4 years ago

I’ve found the following plants will grow in a pond.

Hosta

Blue Iris

Creeping Jenny

Lily

Elephant Ear

Taro

Dwarf Umbrella Palm

Red Leaf Canna

Horse Tail Reed

Cardinal Flower

Mosaic Plant

Sweet Flag

Parrot’s Feather

Water Snowflake

Lizard’s Tail

Corkscrew Rush

Forget Me Not

• Wi-Fi NJ 6b
    4 years ago

I cannot wait to try them all as aquatic plants sold in my local nursery are so expensive!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

I had oregano growing in a bog along with the chocolate mint. Banana mint also does well as long as its in full sun in a bog.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County