Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Land plants that will grow in pond

Posted by bonniez3 z3MN (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 13:24

This subject was on the forum a few years ago, and I can't find it. So, can we start a list of land plants that will grow well in water??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Land plants that will grow in pond

I have grown the following:
swampy wet soil:
Siberian iris
impatiens
creeping jenny
marsh marigold
swamp hibiscus
daylilies
all kinds of rushes
astilbes
hostas
calla lilies
blueberries
sometimes crocosmia :)
mint

o

Growing now in my stream and bog pond; tomatoes, chives, mums, elephant ear, black taro, and day lilies.

o

lobelia

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 11 at 11:36

beware of chocolate mint! it will fill up your pond!
wish i had never bought that 6 pack.
min

o

Great post...ya never know what treasure might have
been discovered since the last discussion. Been experimenting a bit..

sweet potato vine

plopped a few pieces from a trim job elsewhere into my skippy last year & *voila* FINALLY no more skippy visible (watercress & hyacinth don't care for my pond) the chartruese & bronze combo was striking

black EE

nestled a broken stem in gravel in an elevated pot in my lil settling pond and was pleasantly surprised

pothos

took off overnight, what a monster! whodathunk?

spiderwort

highly invasive in my neck o' the woods & still losing the battle after many yrs of trying to eradicate it from MY LAWN, grr! (inherited from previous owner). saw a gorgeous stand of it in someone's bog here & couldn't resist... stuck a few, bare-root in some gravel. lovely - if ya can't beat em, join em. that led to...

tradescantia/purple heart

thriving in dry soil next to my pond. plopped a broken sprig into the pond...then thought to add a sprig of wandering jew/zebrina. another striking combo.

How I wish impatiens would work for me. They live but do not thrive in my pond. Although they bloom, they're the same size end of season as they were when I put them in. Same with hostas =[

Hopin' for some more ideas here, ponders!

bless ya's

~digger

o

Work part-time at our local nursery ---
reading this and wishing my stream was longer!!

o

Min3......."wish I'd never bought that 6 pack". How true!
The man who lived on this property before we bought it planted several invasive bushes. (he bought them from the DNR). Now they cover our 33 acres. Bummer!!

I've also made the mistake with a couple yard plants and it will probably take my lifetime to get rid of them.

o

So many plants! I can hardly wait to get to the nursery to pick up more plants!

o

I put ajuna in a foam kneeling pad (poke holes in the pad, stick the plant roots into the holes) and float it. It looks lovely all summer, covering the foam and sending out babies that float on the water. It often lives through the winter if I put it on the ground in the fall.

Lysimacha (a relative of creeping jenny) is lovely but can also become invasive, just look at my front lawn!!!! It does love wet feet so a bog or pond is great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here