Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplehousewy

Best way to convert an old sink into a water garden or bog?

purplehouseWY
10 years ago

I found an old 2 compartment laundry sink in an alley a couple of years ago that is concrete composite material..super heavy. 3' wide and holds between 15-20 gallons of water. We cleaned it well, buried it in the ground just a little above ground level, sealed the drain plugs and filled with water. We don't have electrity anywhere near the spot so we couldn't add a pump. We added mollies and guppies to control larvae, one side had a water lilly and the other had floating hyacinth. We had a heck of time trying to keep the water clear...tryed using a product our local nursery recommended and floated barley but it was still a murkey mess...It also became a ground beetle graveyard...We couldn't stop them from going in. Last year I kept it empty but I miss the water lilies and activity (sans the ground the beetle problem) Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this setup without a pump? I would even consider turning it into a bog or 1 side bog 1 side water lily (btw) we chose a smaller size zone 4 water lily and it fit perfect. We will not be doing fish again as they didn't survive when we brought them in for the winter.

I was on Gardens Alive and saw some Watergarden & Pond Beneficial Bacteria Tablets but 1 tab treats 1,000 gallons. The description reads:
The beneficial bacteria contained in the tablets:
reduce problem-causing nitrates and phosphates.
lessen bottom sludge and muck.
minimize odors by controlling organic waste.
keep water clear and healthy.

I am having a hard time finding products I can reduce enough for only 30-40 gallons.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus