Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Jobes tomato spikes no longer working?

catherinet
9 years ago

I started out about 10 years ago, growing water lilies and lotus. I used to use pond tabs, but heard that Jobes tomato spikes work just as well. My lilies haven't been doing as well for a couple years, and last year my lotus didn't even bloom........it had lots of leaves, but no flowers.

Anyone else use Jobes tomato spikes and find that they might not be working as well as they used to? I have 7 gallon lily pots and usually fertilize them every month with 3 spikes.

My lotus bog is 300 gallon, so I put about 8 in there the other day. That might still not be enough.

Just thinking I should go back to pond tabs.
Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I use those huge fruit tree spikes broken. 1/3 spike per plant and I get decent blooming.

• pondladypat
    9 years ago

I used the Jobes fruit tree spikes too, just break off a piece with a hammer. Never heard about using the tomatoe ones before.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I also use Jobe fruit tree spikes also. Their evergreen spikes are also good. Cheap too.

• diggery
    9 years ago

Hi catherinet. Now you've got me wondering... I've used Jobes tomato spikes for years with good results. My first bloom last year was Easter Sunday, late March. No blooms yet this year at this late date but an excessive number of pads.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of those tomato spikes to use up, so I think I'll start putting more in than usual....Maybe 5-6 per 7 gallon container every month.
    I think I'll look into those fruit tree spikes too.....at least for my lotus bog. The lotus made a bunch of nice, healthy leaves last year, but not 1 single blossom.
    I definitely am realizing that I've been under-fertilizing things.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got some of the fruit tree spikes. What's with the Chlorine in them??
    Those of you who use them for your waterlilies/lotus...how much of a spike do you use in what size container, and how often?

If I use them in my lotus bog, will it start growing fruit? Can I pick which fruit I want? ;)

• diggery
    9 years ago

Oops, catherinet. I agree you are likely under-fertilizing. I misunderstood your initial post...." I have 7 gallon lily pots and usually fertilize them every month with 3 spikes."

Just saw your latest comment... " I think I'll start putting more in than usual....Maybe 5-6 per 7 gallon container every month."

I read your initial post as 7 [indivual] gallon lily pots. I see from your recent post you meant '7 gallon containers'. Huge difference. My bad. Should have known better *sigh*

My pond is only ~350 gallons total, however it actually consists of three connected puddles. Due to the relatively small surface area in each, I have no choice but to use dwarf lilies. I use 3 tomato spikes per month in each one-gallon container.

This is the first year I've had a problem but that may well be due to our unusually harsh winter coupled with a delayed spring this year. Apologies, please ignore my earlier post.

blessings,

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No worries, diggery! "7 gallon lily pots" could have been taken either way! :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I grow mine in those round black oil pans so probably 1 or 1.5 gallons and I use 1/3 spike whenever I think of it. Maybe once every month or two.

If you throw a damp towel over them for a bit before use, they are much easier to break with your hands.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My lotus bog is 300 gallons.......so I really do think I was under-fertilizing it. Also, lotus are very aggressive and I'm probably going to have to dig alot of it out soon. (And by "I", I mean hubby......hahaha).
    Thanks for that tip about using a damp towel to break them more easily. I have pretty bad arthritis in my fingers, and that will help alot. Yesterday I used a hammer........but would like a little more control over the size of the pieces I want.
    Thanks!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio