Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many gph - your opinion pls

Posted by kashka_kat z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 16:14

Hello, could I get some opinions on what size pump to get for a new 700 gallon pond with goldfish - either a 950 or 1200 gph?

For my old pond (175 gal.) I was advised to turn over the water around 1.5-2 times per hour so I got a 360 gph pump and it served me well - have had healthy fish and clear water for 12 yrs now.

For this new pond I would like to take the same approach -however these larger pumps require considerably more energy (watts) to run so if I could get by with less gph maybe I want to do that......?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many gph - your opinion pls

I heard that you only need to turn your total volume over once every two hours.

o

I have 7 or 800 gallon and I have a 2400gph pump. I am more interested in the waterfall spill rate and it looks about right. My Laguna pump is aledged to be effecient and only 100 watts. They are a little more expensive.

o

I've always read where you shoot for turning the pond's capacity over once every two hours, but also heard " more is better" and many shoot for 2x that amt.

I planned for a 2000 gal pond and after head loss on the pipeline, etc. my two 3900 Laguna mag drive pumps probably are putting 6000 gal/hour over my falls (when I have both pumps running). I don't think it's excessive, but I have a wide weir.

Mag drive pumps are more energy efficient and safe (no oil). I'd go bigger, 1200 gal/hr.

Good Luck!

o

My pond is about 950 gallons. I have been using 2 separate 500 GPH pumps. I had a turtle which puts out LOTS of waste. However, he didn't survive the winter so I am considering cutting back to one pump. I have done pretty well with water clarity and couldn't remember the last time I lost a fish. I don't have water falls though, just a skippy filter. I would think you would do great with the 950. Could probably do even less unless you have a really heavy fish load.

o

My pond is about 900 gallons and I have a waterfall. I am using a 3100 gph pump, but with some pipe friction and head loss, I am probably turning the pond over twice an hour. So far, so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here