Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Sick - with Pics

Posted by chris_in_ct (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 16:17

Hi All,
I just noticed that my largest fish has some spots on his body. There are some whiter spots above/behind his eyes and then some apprent sores behind his dorsel fin. Please take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think. The pics aren't that clear - sorry - in the midst of a mild algea bloom as my system comes up to speed, post-winter.

Behavior-wise he seems to be doing fine. Appetite is normal, although he does seem a bit "skittish" when approaching the pond. But, he did that last year too right after winter and took a month or so to warm up to us.

See pics below. Thanks,
-Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Sick - with Pics

As long as your fish is eating and the water is clean I would leave it in the pond. Hard to tell from the pics but looks like it may be missing some scales and got banged up a little. Good clean water with good nutrition might be all it needs. Try soaking your fish food in some orange juice for added vitamin C. Good luck.

o

My fishies have similar spots this spring. I don't know why it happened but it is obvious they aren't stressed over it. It has happened to a couple of fish in the past. The scales haven't grown back so far as I can tell since the spots haven't changed.

o

The two spots on the head appear to be scrapes and are no big deal. The spot by the fin is hard to tell in the photo. Does this spot move on the body at all. I can't tell by the photo for sure but it could be fish louse. If you can get a better picture or does any other fish have a spot that looks somewhat like this one?
Mike

o

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike, I'll try to get a better photo. I do not know if the spot moves yet, just spotted it for the first time today. Also, do not know if other fish have anything. I'll try to check more carefully over the next day or so - however, I didn't see anything today after a cursory look.

How do fish louse come to be? My fish were all healthy last year and had no problems going into winter. Since I started my pump and cleaned my filter about a month ago, I have not added any fish, plants or anything else to the pond. If it is fish louse, I assume it can be transferred between the fish?

o

They can even be brought in by birds or other critters that visit your pond. Parasites are a common problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here