Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbia

Filters

brownthumbia
10 years ago

Would it work to use my sump pump that I use to drain the pond, pump the water through quilt batting in a tall kitchen waste basket with holes in the bottom? Just trying to get rid of the brown water.

Comments (6)

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Think you could get a picture of your pond and water? I still am not sure what you mean by brown water... if it's cloudy or murky or stained. It's hard to figure what's going on.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Assuming you want to separate the discussion you started titled charcoal from filters I would suggest you describe the filter you have in place. From the description you had in that thread it is essential to solving your problem.

That does not make the use of a sump pump any more reasonable. It still isn't designed to run 24/7. It will eventually burn out. The only question there is how long it would take to burn out. It is strictly a temporary solution and unless you change the design of the filter system you now have, the problem will continue.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess by my postings my frustrations are showing. Grasping at any straws I can find. Hoping I can hit on something that will solve my problem. Of course you are right about the sump pump not working for very long. So The only other thing I can try is to hook a hose up to the filter, run the water through a tall can with some kind of filter material and hope for the best. I just don't remember having this problem before. Algae yes but not this. If not I guess a load of dirt is next.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you don't run a tube or pipe from your present pond pump to some sort of filter whether it is the trashcan device you describe or some other design.

In the other thread I suggested you do a search for DIY pond filters or pond filter design. Did you see anything that you thought you could put together? Anything would be better than what you have now. Any filter action you currently have is almost accidental. You have to isolate the dirt that is collected somehow and you are not doing that. You are just stirring it up. Its sort of like running a vacuum cleaner without a bag. The motor will propel the dirt everywhere.

Since I don't know you, your mechanical abilities or what you are willing to spend or anything about your pond, I can't really suggest a particular design. That is why I suggested you look at some options. If you decide on one I will be glad to help. I'm sure there are others here who would help as well. I hate it when people don't succeed with their pond.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sleepness, you are so kind. I can't spend much on anything more. I live alone, and, cannot believe it myself, going to be 80 this year. However the good Lord has blest me with fantastic health. That's why I do NOT want to give up. So I just keep asking dumb questions with even dumber answers. But I will somehow get this thing rigged up. When the water clears I'm going to invite you all to come sit around and look at the crystal cleAr pond, okay?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

That sounds pretty good considering my own age and health. Now go look at some videos and see what they are using that you might be able to scrounge or make do. That's what I did for a long time.I'm always amazed at what people don't need or want anymore. You might find something in the local want ads or a rummage sale even.
    In Iowa you are likely close to farm country and in my experience farmers rarely throw away anything that might come in handy. Then they give it to someone else.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022