Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of frog is this? Or is it a toad?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 16:51

Last year I saw a gray toad hopping around my yard, and brought it to the pond. Apparently, he (she) found companions, and now I see a few of these hopping in and around the pond. Are young toads a different color than their parents? Are these frogs? Some photos to share with you guys.
It's so cool to see these little green animals.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of frog is this? Or is it a toad?

Lovely pond. I don't think that is a toad. My guess is that it is some kind of a tree frog, but I'm not familiar with California frogs.
Anne

o

Sure looks like some of my tree frogs.......but I, too, am not familiar with CA frogs. If you can see little suction cups on its toes, then its definitely a tree frog.
Nice pond!
Oh.....if they are tree frogs, their song can be REALLY loud. I love it!

o

im no expert but i have owned tree frogs before. my closest guess would be a Pseudacris regilla aka Northern Pacific Treefrog. google them and see what you think. they do live in california. He's very cute. your lucky to have him stick around:)

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 11 at 1:19

Oh they ARE loud, I love hearing them. My wife, on the other hand, just shook her head when I leave my windows open just to hear their croaking.

This one is about 1" long. I see some other ones swimming in the water that are about 3", and are brown.

o
Cool, chorus frogs!

Wed, May 4, 11 at 1:27

Definitely look like the Pacific Tree frog, aka Pacific Chorus frog.

Thanks,

o

Pacific Chorus Frog!!!

There are hundreds breeding in my ponds. Love them. We got used to the singing after the first season. Had a fish pond for years but no froggies. Built multiple small ponds for plants not fish and froggies showed up right away.

They change colors slowly and can be seen in all shades between green and brown. They always have that black stripe through the eye.

They will breed and stop singing and disperse into the landscape to return next spring. When the tadpoles morph they are sooooo tiny and cute. We see a few frogs throughout the year but most come only to breed. The babies are smaller than a dime. You'll get more every year as the babies come back to spawn.

o

Thu, May 5, 11 at 14:24

buyorsell888: when you say "they will disperse into the landscape to return next spring", where are they going exactly? It's hot and dry in my area in the summer, so if they want a wet environment, they'll have to stick around the pond area.

o

Treefrogs generally do not require ponds except to breed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here